Wednesday, April 12, 2017

The Terrible Secret Chapter 8

To begin this story go HERE.


Chapter 8


Andi lay awake for a good portion of the night. Every little noise jerked her awake. Wide-eyed, she scanned her room, expecting to see one of Henderson’s hired thugs peeking in through her balcony window or slipping into her room.
She shivered, then yawned when the noise faded. Finally, in spite of a stomachache from worry and a headache from thinking too much, she fell into a restless sleep . . .

There was no escaping their evil gazes, and Andi was close to panic. Their voices mocked her, threatened her, and terrified her. She ran as fast as she could, but they were closing in behind her. She tripped and fell, sprawling on the rough ground. One of her pursuers reached out and shouted her name, grabbing her by the shoulder—

No!” Andi sat up and found herself in her own bed. The horror of her recent nightmare faded in the light of day.
Melinda jumped back, a startled expression on her face. “I didn’t mean to frighten you,” she apologized. “But you’ve been called a couple of times now for breakfast, and Mother sent me up to see if you were ill.”
She looked around the sunny room. “Justin’s about ready to leave for town, and you’re not even up. Is everything all right?”
“Yes.” Andi tossed aside her bed coverings and stepped onto the floor. She gave Melinda a small smile. “Tell everybody I’ll be right down.”

“Sure.”
As soon as Melinda left the room, Andi hurried over to the basin to wash up and get dressed. She stared at herself in the mirror as she brushed out and braided her hair. I look terrible.
Dark circles formed under her eyes, and one cheek sported the beginnings of what would surely turn into a purple bruise by the end of the day, just like she’d feared.  Great. Mother will know in an instant that something’s wrong. What am I going to do?
Taking a deep breath, and fixing her lips into something that resembled her normal, happy self, Andi threw her covers over her bed and raced out of the room.
“Sorry I’m late,” she offered breathlessly as she slid into her chair and helped herself to a generous portion of hash browns and eggs.
“Why are you late?” Elizabeth asked. “Long night?”
“Sort of. I couldn’t fall asleep.” She held back a yawn, wondering how she could possibly make it through this day without falling asleep. She forced down her tasteless breakfast, cleaned up, and left for the buggy without another word.
“Aren’t you forgetting something?” Mitch held up her books and lunch pail.
Andi smiled and retrieved them from her brother’s hands. “Thanks.”
“You okay?” he asked, concern filling his voice.
“Never better,” came her hasty reply. “See you at supper.” 

***

“Are you sure you’re all right?” Justin asked when Andi stifled another yawn.
“Why does everyone keep asking me that?” Andi asked shortly. How well her family knew her! It was a scary thought. How was she going to keep her terrible secret for longer than a few days?
“We’re just concerned about you. Last night at supper you acted so strangely, then this morning—”
“I’m fine. Really, I am.” She met Justin’s serious face with a forced grin. “See? I’m happy. I’m smiling.”
“Yes.” Justin gave the horse another slap with the reins. “I see all too well.”
Andi watched Justin urge the horse along. Fear for his safety welled up unexpectedly in her heart when she thought about what it would mean if she told him what was troubling her. Never mind that Mr. Henderson had threatened her. She didn’t want anything to happen to her oldest brother, whom she dearly loved.
“Justin,” she said suddenly.
“Yes?”
“If I asked you to do me a big favor, would you?”
“Depends on the favor.”
“Would you take me somewhere?”
“Like where?”
“Uh . . . to San Francisco? To visit Aunt Rebecca?”
Justin pulled up on the reins. “What? You hate going there. Why the sudden interest?”
Andi shrugged. “I just thought it’d be a good idea.”
“I’m sure you and Melinda could go any time you wanted. You know Aunt Rebecca would be delighted to—”
“No. I want you to take me. We could stay a month, maybe even longer.”

“A month?” Justin laughed. “Andi, don’t be silly. I couldn’t leave my practice for a whole month. Especially with Phil being killed. That leaves an empty gap for the Henderson trial coming up next month. I’m sure they’ll be looking for a temporary DA. I’m going to ask the judge if I can have the position. I’m just itching to finish what Phil began against Marvin Henderson.”
He slapped the reins, and the horse jumped forward.
Andi stared straight ahead for the remainder of the trip to town.
Justin’s eyebrows went up when she clutched and unclutched her book strap. “You nervous about something?” he asked when he drew the horse and buggy in front of his law office. “Big test today?”
“Something like that,” Andi muttered and let Justin help her out of the buggy.
“It’s early still,” he said. “I think a nice walk to the schoolhouse might just be what you need to gather your wits about you.”
“All right. Good-bye,” Andi answered unenthusiastically. She sighed and watched Justin enter his office. Then she turned and started down the boardwalk. She hadn’t gone more than two blocks when a shadow fell in behind her.
A soft voice spoke in her ear. “Turn down this side street.”
Andi started and whirled. The man named Gordon gave her a dark look. Then he prodded her roughly in the back.
Andi obeyed.
When they were out of sight of the main street, Gordon confronted her. “I don’t like what I’m seeing this morning, Andrea. You look ghastly. I would venture to say that your family’s not going to believe you when you tell them you’re fine if you keep looking so scared.”
Andi closed her eyes. “Go away and leave me alone.”
“I’m afraid I can’t do that,” Gordon replied, shaking his head.
“I said I wouldn’t tell.”
“You’re saying a lot just by the look on your face. Your fear is visible.”
“That’s your fault.”
“But it’s your problem. Mr. Henderson will not be pleased when I tell him.”
“Don’t tell him!” Andi begged suddenly. “I’ll try to act better. Give me a chance!”
Gordon nodded. “We’ll see.” He turned abruptly and left Andi in the alley, where she crouched behind a stack of barrels and sobbed.
When Andi had finally gotten her tears under control, she took a deep breath and made her way out to the boardwalk once again. She knew she’d have to run to make it to school before the tardy bell rang. Mr. Foster, the schoolmaster, did not tolerate tardiness.

“Andrea Carter!” Mrs. Evans loud voice stopped her in her tracks
Andi turned around impatiently, wondering what the old busybody wanted now. “Excuse me, Mrs. Evans, but I’ve got to run. I’m late for school.”
“I dare say you’re late for school, young lady.” Mrs. Evans frowned her concern. “I would be very interested to know what business you have with a scoundrel. I saw you turn aside a few minutes ago and follow that man into the alleyway. It bodes no good, I tell you.”
She planted her fists on her hips and waited for Andi’s explanation.
Andi’s heart skipped, and her breath grew short.
“Well, Andrea,” Mrs. Evans demanded. “Speak up. I’m waiting. He surely couldn’t be a friend of your family. He’s a rough-looking character. You know, the kind this town’s saloons are full of. What possible business could such a one have with—”
“Mrs. Evans,” Andi burst out, “I haven’t the faintest idea what you’re talking about, so if you’ll excuse me?” She turned away from the older woman and ran toward the school house as fast as she could. If she tells Mother about this, I will simply die. 

***

Violet Evans stood stock still, staring at the girl in astonishment. “Why, my land!” she said. “I never thought I would see the day when one of Elizabeth Carter’s children would be so ill-bred to lie boldly to my face like trashy guttersnipe with no manners. My goodness! Never have I been so offended.” She shook her head. “Elizabeth will hear of this at my earliest opportunity.” 

READ CHAPTER 9
 

11 comments:

  1. Poor Andi! She's not very good at keeping secrets :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh-no! I'm so nervous, what's going to happen next??? Poor Andi, I feel so bad for her! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg. I love Violet Evans. She is going to be Andi's savior.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Andi need to tell. She learn that almost the hard way in Price of Truth, and she almost does in Thick as Thieves. Taffy would still be alive today if she would have told on Daniel. If she just comes clean, I'm sure her family could come up with some way of protection. Idk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, of course she should tell! LOL But then . . . there would be no story. No tension. No drama. No lessons learned. The Last Ride would have not been nearly as dramatic if she'd simply told and then "story over." No fun at all. And how else could Andi have learned a very important life lesson about forgiveness that will carry her into her future adult life. :-)

      And, btw, as you can probably tell, I borrowed a few things from this "lost story" for use in Price of Truth. Not the same plot, of course, but some of the extras. That is why they look familiar.

      This is not called a "lost" story for nothing. :-)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I understand. I guess what I need to do is learn from Andi's mistakes and not worry about her so much. lol
      And btw, I also liked how you used another "lost story" in Courageous Love. The one about the injured man back at the ranch, I like how you used the party scene for Chad's engagement party. <3

      Delete
    3. Oh, yes, THAT Lost Story (the dance scene) and in the same Lost Story the injured man Cory and Andi had discovered that afternoon before the big shindig in town. Almost forgot about that. You have a good memory.

      Time is running out. Eeek! I need to add a few more chapters before I run out of text. And I do run out of text (and Andi does tell her brother, but . . . Well, I won't say what happens because of that). You will have to wait and see. I do have THAT much written. :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh no! What is Andi's mother going to say when Mrs Evans tells her??
    <3 MA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He-he! You sure know Mothers, Mrs. M! Maybe it has somethin' to do with the fact that you ARE a mother!? Though MY mother normally has quite a few more words to say than two when she's not happy with me! Lol. No really, my mother is actually quite patient. And you have to be, let me tell you, if you're MY mother.

      Delete
  6. I keep telling myself I need to wait so that way I have several chapters to read all at once, but of course I'm on at the crack of dawn reading the latest chapter anyway. XD I am very much enjoying this story!

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!