Monday, April 17, 2017

A Slice of Life - 6




I had an unexpected visitor today! Just after finishing the dishes from the noon meal, I heard a rig pull up in front of the house. Curious as to who could be, I dried my hands on my apron and started toward the front door. I scarcely had time to open the door before I was engulfed in a hug. 
“Oh, Andi, it’s been ever so long since I’ve seen you!”
I stepped back, scarcely believing it! “Rosa!” 
I hadn’t seen her in forever! Ever since she married and moved away, and then I married, neither of us had had much time to devote to visiting. I looked behind her, expecting to see Davey, her dark-haired, dimple faced little boy. 
She saw my questioning look. “Oh, Davey is home with mama. She’s spoiling him!” Her eyes twinkled as she spoke.
I invited her in, and we both had a glass of lemonade while we caught up on lost time. 
It was funny . . . sitting there together, I realized how much things had changed as the time passed. Just a few, short years before, we were out riding and having fun together. Now we are both married, and she has a child. It makes me want to grab hold of the time that passes and take the time to treasure each and every moment. Because all too soon, it will be just a memory.
We chatted for the longest time, and then she offered to help me rustle up something for supper. I have to say, that was probably the best gift the should have ever given me! She is quite at home in the kitchen, while trying to navigate all the cupboards and labels still feels a bit foreign to me.
In no time at all, she had something delicious simmering on the stove. It only took me a second to realize what they were. Tamales! My mouth watered at the smell; it had been such a long time since I had tasted something as delicious as this.
 When Riley came in a little while later, we had the table set and the food ready. I could tell he was just as excited about the spicy Mexican food as I was.
Rosa said she could stay for supper, so she joined us. Laughter and conversation flowed around the room as we stayed at the table for much longer than Riley and I normally do. After a while, she and I cleared the table, and Riley gave us a hand with the dishes. Chores are so much easier when you have someone to do them with, and the lively talk made the time pass swiftly!
As the outside continued to grow darker, Riley told Rosa he’d be more than happy to see her safely home. She protested, but he insisted, and I’m glad he did. The road between our ranch and the main one is relatively safe, but one can never be too careful. Riley promised he’d get Chad or one of the ranch hands to see her the rest of the way to her house after she picked up Davey at the main ranch.
We said our goodbyes, and I stood in the doorway and watched them leave. The moon had risen in the sky, and the area around the house was bathed in its gentle night.
It was the perfect ending to a perfect day.
 

23 comments:

  1. Ohh, Mrs M!!! I love it! Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed Rosa! It's so nice to her from her again.
    Was Rosa 16 when she got married? It says in Heartbreak Trail that she was already promised in marriage, and then that she was only 16.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe so. It's hard to keep track. In the Last Ride when Andi wants to escape Daniel she thinks about riding over to Rosa's new place. Andi is 15 turning 16 (at the end) and Rosa is a year older than Andi, so she would be married at 16. She was courting right after her quinceana (forgive spelling), which is at age 15.

      Delete
  3. Ohh, I am so glad to hear about Rosa again:) I have wondered about her and her family. Does her husband own a ranch or just works at one??
    <3 MA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a vaquero (cowhand) for the Bent Pine Ranch.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad to hear about Rosa, I missed her! :-) How old is her son Davey?
    Thanks for sharing this, Mrs. M! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww! I loved this post! Rosa was always one of my favorite characters. She's just the right balance for Andi's personality. And these Slice of Life posts are my favorite....they're a lot like the kinda thing I suggested when I felt so sad after finishing Courageous Love and wanted Andi to still be there. Thanks so much, Mrs. M!
    ~Hope M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, BTW, Yo Tengo una pregunta. How well can you speak Spanish, Mrs. M? In the books, Andi can speak Spanish fluently. And you have a good amount of Spanish in the books. So, puttin' it together, I'd say that you can probably speak Spanish pretty well, huh?

      Delete
    2. Well, you know the saying "use it or lose it." I used to speak Spanish much better than I do now. I used to work with ESL and I taught an Hispanic friend (her name was Nila Garduno, BTW) and helped her kids, and she taught me Spanish. :-) I've been to Costa Rica and one on one, I could make myself understood to the pastor's wife with whom Ryan ("Cory") and I were staying. She spoke no English. And I could understand her. But I could never figure out what Erick (the pastor) was saying on Sunday mornings. WAy too fast!

      Right now I'm trying to get the Spanish out of my head and replace it with my childhood German (I took five years of German in school and have WAY more vocabulary than Spanish). My sister and I spoke really good German together. Mr. M and I are going to Germany this fall to visit Andrew and Jane (in the USAF). And I'd like to unlock those old file folders in my head, dust off my German, and be able to get along over there if I can! :-)

      Delete
    3. That's cool that you guys are going to Germany this fall, I hope you have fun:)
      <3 MA

      Delete
    4. Thanks for answering my question, Mrs. M! I never knew before that you knew German when you were a kid! That's neat. I'm sure you can get your German back to a satisfactory state. After all, being that good with other languages helps a lot. I started learning French, and then I started learning Spanish, and the knowledge that I'd gained in French helped a lot. I like Spanish much better than French. It's like what Andi says in Courageous Love, about suffering through two terms of French at Miss Whitakers. For me, that's what French is like. Just don't tell my mother....she loves French. She used to speak it fluently and even went to France. Anyhow, muchas gracias, Senora M!
      I hope you have a good trip!
      ~Hope M.

      Delete
    5. Since I've read the Adventures and Milestones SO MANY TIMES, I know the books pretty well, you see...which is why I would love it if you did Milestones trivia questions. *wink* I know you're busy, but that would be a LOT of fun!!!
      ~Hope M.

      Delete
    6. Yes, I've been thinking along those lines. I think it's time for a Trivia Day for one of the Milestones books. Keep on the lookout! I have a big school visit next Wednesday and then Th-Sat a homeschool convention in the Seattle area. Then after that maybe I can pull something together for the Trivia contest.

      Delete
    7. Okay, thanks, Mrs. M! I'll keep an eye out!

      Delete
  6. Hey Andi can you cook anything other then cookies yet?? Maybe you should have Rosa or your Mother teach you how to cook, it might help. Keep tryin' you'll get it soon,and then you will be able to cook tamales as well as Rosa. BTW those look and sound really good:)
    <3 MA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm pretty good at oatmeal. :-)

      Delete
    2. That's good, at least you can make breakfast:).
      <3 MA

      Delete
    3. You know what I find interestin'? For all everybody goes on about how bad Andi is at cookin', they don't seem to remember the good fish Andi cooks in Trouble with Treasure. Why is that? I mean, really, I know Hugh Baker isn't the most trust-worthy of people, but hey! Even bad guys know good food when they taste it!
      ~Hope M.

      Delete
    4. And she makes a mean jerky broth too. :-)
      That's trail (camping) cooking. She can fry fish and make coffee. It's just those inside kitchen meals--the FINER things in life--that seems to elude her.

      I will probably make sure her reputation is not so tarnished as the months go on. LOL

      Delete
    5. Well I sure understand about the FINER things business. I don't like fancy, stuffy, formal things either...they make my nose wrinkle and my skin crawl. Ugh. And that's not to mention the fidget-y-ness (I haven't the slightest idea how to spell that, but I think you know what I mean). Even in church or Bible Study every Sunday I get REALLY fidgety. I hope nobody notices. At least I don't fall asleep durin' church. I haven't done that since I was a toddler. It's just that I day dream a lot. All of them involving horses, I assure you. *wink*
      ~Hope M.

      Delete
  7. hey, i always love these posts! if you need more ideas, i'd love to hear more about Riley's character,as i'm trying to work on their courting years. I do know he's awesome but i need some ideas..
    p.s. so glad to hear about rosa!

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!