Monday, March 20, 2017

A Slice of Life -2



I wonder why I ever thought being married would be boring! It’s brought some of the most interesting adventures I’ve had yet.
The most recent one happened earlier today. I made my way out to the barn, planning on taking a ride on Shasta. However, I only got as far as the tack room when one of the hired men came galloping up to the house, yelling my name.
As I watched him vault out of the saddle and run up the porch, I froze. Had something happened to Riley?
Suddenly, my feet came alive. I set the saddle I’d been holding on the corral fence as I flew toward the house. When he heard my footsteps, the man turned from the porch, saying something about someone getting injured.
The look on my face must have shown my thoughts, for he was quick to assure me that it wasn’t Riley. Instead, two of the men had been fixing a length of barbed wire fencing when for some reason, the second man lost his grip. The metal flew from his hands, slashing his partner in the face.
Riley had sent this man ahead to ask if I could have warm water and some rolls of gauze ready to try and stop the bleeding.
As the messenger galloped away, I made my way up the steps and into the kitchen. I put on a pot of water to boil, and made my way to the medicine cabinet.
I had never needed to help with ranch incidents before. Normally, Chad would take care of them, or if further help was needed, Mother would help. Taking a deep breath, I squared my shoulders. For Riley to bring the man to the house, it must be pretty bad. I sent a quick prayer heavenward, hoping the deadly wire had missed his eyes.
Picking out two rolls of neat, white fabric, I decided to grab the iodine as well. That finished, I made my way back to the kitchen.
By the time I had the bowl of warm water ready, I could hear horses approaching the ranch. Trying to keep a hold of everything with only two hands, I made my way into the living room and set them on the small table. Moments later, Riley appeared, his face flushed and red. My heart jumped as I saw blood on his hands, but I realized a moment later it wasn’t from him, but rather from the man he was helping.
It was one of the newer ranch hands, though all I could see of him were his eyes. Thank God, the wire had missed them. His teeth were gritted in pain, and every breath came out as a gasp. I’ve never been someone to feel queasy at the sight of blood, but when I saw what the wire had done to his face, I quickly looked away.
Riley took no time in setting him down, and his eyes scanned the supplies I had set on the table. It was then I realized I had forgotten a cloth to help clean his face.
I flew back into the kitchen and grabbed a clean cloth. When I got back, Riley grabbed it from me and thrust it into the bowl of water.
As I watched him wipe the blood away, my own blood boiled at the thought of some careless worker causing this.
I know Riley has dismissed him by now, and I have to say I’m glad he no longer works here.
Ranch work is nothing to be careless about.
Riley was able to staunch the flow of blood and get the man wrapped up well enough to head to Doctor Weaver’s office. I’m so thankful he did it. I can’t imagine having to do that on my own.
I never realized just how much Mother took care of. Nurse, housekeeper, manager . . . Life on a ranch calls for one person to be able and fill many different roles.
Well, now that things have settled down to normal, I think I’ll go on that ride. The sun is shining, and nothing sounds better than a gallop with Shasta!



5 comments:

  1. Ohh, that's so sad about what happened to that poor guy:(
    Just wondering but is the hired man from your (Andi) ranch or the cycle c
    <3 MA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the Circle C, as Riley and I don't have a big enough spread to afford to hire more than one or two hands. But Chad sometimes "lends" them out to us. :-)

      Delete
  2. ouch! That must have hurt really bad!
    - Cailynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very much enjoying this new section of the blog! Thanks for reviving Andi's Journal!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!