Monday, March 13, 2017

A Slice of Life-1




INTRODUCING ANDI and RILEY'S MEMORY CREEK RANCH

It’s funny how time works. When I was younger, it seemed the days took forever to go by. Though I’m still convinced that spending a good part of the  day in the stuffy schoolhouse has something to do with that.
But now . . . now it’s as if one day slides directly into the next, hardly giving me any chance to catch my breath. Living with Riley here on the ranch has been a bit of a change, though I’m thankful every day that we didn't have to move far when we married. This land has a hold on me, and I know I could never leave it!
I had an interesting run-in today, with Chad of all people. Sometimes I really don’t think he’ll see me as grown up! Brothers.
It was just after breakfast had finished, and Riley had headed outside. I wanted nothing more than to follow him, however I pushed the feelings aside, determined to do the work I despised the most first. Housework. It’s not that I particularly mind the work. I know it takes a capable woman to keep the household running (a fact Aunt Rebecca was always sure to let me know), but all the little details put me in a tizzy.
Anyway, Riley had mentioned soon after we moved in here that he loved the way the sunlight filtered through the windows in the front room and brightened up the area. Just yesterday, I noticed that some of the glass panes had fingerprints smudged from when Lucy brought the children to visit.
I quickly finished clearing the table and wiping it, and then finished the dishes. I’m forever grateful that with only the two of us there aren’t that many to do.
Just as soon as they were put away, I grabbed a bucket that stood next to the back door, and filled it with hot water and soap. The water was almost too hot for me to stick my hand in, but I decided I could manage it.  Just as soon as the windows were done, I could head out of doors. I could almost feel the sun on my face, and just the thought helped me to move faster.
I took the bucket though the kitchen and dining room, and then into the sitting room. At first, I had just planned to clean the lower panes, but looking up, I decided that while I was at it, I had better clean the higher ones as well. If I could do it all now, it would mean I wouldn’t have to do them again for another week or so.
Unfortunately. I’m not tall enough to reach the top panes on my own. After a quick look around the room, I could tell that I wasn’t strong enough to move any of the furniture in here either. But the dining room chairs. They were light enough for me to carry.
I set one of them near the window and stepped up on it, grateful that once again that I didn’t wear the ankle-length skirts most ladies wore. With the bucket in one hand and the cloth in the other, I was just able to reach the top pane if I stretched high enough.
Two of the panes were cleaned, and just as I moved on to the third one, the front door banged open. The sudden noise caught me off balance. I desperately tried to regain my footing. I stepped to the side . . . and right off the edge of the chair.
The floor met my face with astonishing speed, and I yelped as the hot water soaked through the fabric of my shirt.
“Andrea Carter!”
I groaned as I felt arms go around my waist and pull me  into a sitting position.
“It’s Andrea Prescott,” I muttered, not letting myself look up and meet Chad’s gaze. What in the blazes he was doing here at the house I didn’t know, and at the moment, I was not too happy to see him.
Before he could ask me anything, I pushed away and stepped back. My knees felt a bit wobbly from their run-in with the floor, and I could feel a headache coming on, but that was all.
Looking up, I stared at the mess. The chair had stayed standing, but every single window pane was wet and would need to be redone. My bucket lay on the floor, though there wasn’t as much water around it as I had expected. Apparently, I had managed to soak up most of it.
I heard Chad chuckle, and looked up in time to meet his gaze.
He shook his head. “Not even Riley can change you too much, can he, little sis?”
My only reply was a glare.
I guess, writing it out now, the whole incident seems rather humorous. But oh, was I mad at Chad! I had everything perfectly under control, and he just had to come and barge through that door.
And to think, all that he had come over to do was extend Mother’s invitation to come to lunch. I guess with so many of us being gone now, it can sometimes get lonely for her, even with Ellie there.
Well, seeing as how Riley has agreed to let me ride the range with him tomorrow, I should head to bed.
After all, who knows just what tomorrow will hold?


18 comments:

  1. Thank you for this little 'slice' in Andi's life.
    Just wondering what kind of skirts do you wear if you don't wear ones like other ladies do?
    <3 MA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Split skirts, but they are still frowned upon by city ladies and others like Aunt Rebecca.

      Delete
  2. That was great Andi! Thx so much for writing it!
    ~cheyenne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I so enjoyed reading this!! :-) Thanks for taking the time to share it with us, "Andi" ;)

    ~Lydia~ <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so fun to read! I absolutely love the new 'Andi's Journal' posts!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this "Andi"! I am honored to have had my ranch name idea chosen! I love the new Slice Of Life/Journal posts, Are you planning on posting more, and how often will you post them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andi's Slice of Life Journal posts should be a every Monday affair, Lord willing! I know you all have been requesting such a thing, so here you go!

      Delete
    2. That's so exciting, thank you! :-)

      Delete
  6. Awesome! I love it! please keep writing more of these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it, I love it, I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two questions: what happened to Cory? Did he ever get married?
    One more: When Rily (Ramón) is first seen in Procopio's camp, what does he say in Apache?

    Thanks for the posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I was wondering that very same thing......

      -Lexah

      Delete
    2. I found Apache on the web, and he is quoting the first part of The Lord's Prayer, "Our Father Who Art in Heaven . . ."

      And I suppose Cory gets married. But I haven't thought about who or when. Too many other things to think about!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for this! I love it! I love the name Memory Creek Ranch.

    ~Libby

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh! I loved this post! I'm so excited this is going to be a regular thing.
    Thanks for posting this, Mrs. M! And by the way, I'm sorry for not having sent you any pictures of me and Blackie yet. I intend to as soon as possible...but...besides the usual busy-ness...and not being able to take any pictures recently partly due to the weather...well, I went on this surprise trip and just got back yesterday. It was SO MUCH FUN!!! Even though I was missing Blackie the WHOLE time. :( So anyway, I will try to get some pictures for you as soon as I can. Que tenga un buen dia!
    ~Hope M.

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!