Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Rebekah and Sedona's Story

Mrs. M loves to hear how Andi's adventures gallop their way into readers' lives. She was touched by this recent story, and she hopes you will be too. An email from Rebekah about her and her horse Sedona (get your handkerchiefs):

Hi, I wanted to write and tell you how big an impact your book The Last Ride had on my life. I love Andi. I like to think I am like her, I don't know. My friend who LOVES the Andrea Carter books has a younger sister who tells me I look like Andi. I guess my hair is brown and long and my eyes are blue. But still. I am a huge horse person! 

I've been riding since I was four. I'm sixteen now. I've trained several horses and really done a lot with horses. My life is kind of centered around them. I love reading, I am the type of person that gets really "connected" with the characters. I "feel" their emotions. When Taffy died, I cried right along with Andi. And I remember thinking how terrible that was and how I'd never want to lose one of my own horses. I read that book in September. 

In October I did lose my best friend. My three-year-old Quarter horse mare. I raised her from the time she was five months old. I trained her myself. Sedona was really special. Just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes. She'd always meet me at the gate. She was so willing and calm. I would have trusted her with my life. I'd put my five- and three-year-old nieces up on her bareback and lead them around on her. She loved to go do things together and go for rides. Whenever I caught another horse she'd follow me to the gate and stand, watching me. We shared a special bond. She was the first horse I've ever experienced something like that with, and I pray she will not be the last. 

Now, I look back and I think about your book. Was God maybe somehow preparing me for that? I like to think that. It still hurts, and I miss Sedona. A lot. But when I told Sedona good-bye I promised her I would train Kotie, I'd make her a good horse like she was. As soon as the weather turns nice I'll be starting Kotie under saddle. 

I have a yearling filly now as well. Kip. Everyone thinks she is Sedona's replacement. I know different. No horse could ever replace Sedona. They're all special in their own way. 
 
I'm sorry for making it so long. I just wanted to say thank you for that book. Even though I was upset (I'm the type of person that wants to throw the book across the room when a character dies) when Taffy died, I realize now that maybe the Lord was using it. It is so hard to trust Him sometimes. But I know His plan is better and I find peace knowing He's got it all in His hands. 

With love, Rebekah (I have a boy nickname too; Reuben)

Thank you so much for sharing, Rebekah! Your testimony may well encourage someone else.

Note: Some of you want to know how Sedona died. It was a tragic accident during a routine tacking up. She was tied up and another horse got under her neck. She freaked and somehow went to ground. She may have hit her head or broken her neck. The vet said it could also have been a freak aneurysm. Sad and heart-breaking, much like Andi's experience. We are never prepared, it seems, for the unexpected. 

 

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Rebekah! Amazing testimony. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know how Sedona died!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I updated the post. You can go back and read the extra note at the end.

      Delete
  3. I want to know how Sedona died!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to know how Sedona died!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs.Marlow, do you know when you will give free copy's of the "courageous love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually just give away free copies of books. Rachel, Abbi, and Rebecca won the short-story summer writing contest and chose the book of their choice, which was Courageous Love, so they will receive free copies. Later on in the spring I may run a contest or two, but I'm not sure when that will be. I expected the books by now but they have not yet arrived.

      Delete
  6. Thats soo sad. But its a great testemony!🐎

    Cheyenne

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!