Friday, February 5, 2016

A photo tour of New York City 1884

Come along on a photo trip to New York City in 1884. You will be able to see what cousin Daniel Carter when he was living there.


First off, a map of Manhattan (Daniel and his family live by Central Park, which is in Manhattan).
You can see the Brooklyn Bridge at the right (called the East River Bridge in 1884). (Keep reading. There's more)





A couple of young "newsies," kids who sold newspapers to earn a few pennies. 



A street sweeper. We have those big trucks. Not in 1884. And guess what he's sweeping up? Yep, horse manure, since it's a horse and buggy city.




Another street sweeper, but hey, there's a lot of horses in New York City in 1884!



This guys is selling suspenders. Seriously. Right there down by the docks (see the ships?). I guess everybody needs a good pair of suspenders.



Ever hear of shoeshine boys? They've for real. They shine shoes. Maybe to go along with a nice pari of suspenders? Clearly, these boys don't go to school. They earn a meager living.



Can you guess what this vendor is selling? Those are sponges, folks! REAL sponges . . . from the sea.


He is not selling suspenders. This fellow is selling (I kid you not) shoe strings. For a living.



Last but not least . . . a parade in Central Park. I bet Daniel can watch it from his window. That's where the rich people live.




22 comments:

  1. Aww, this was fun!! Cool to go back and see what Daniel saw. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool!!!!

    -Cheyenne ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have the 10-13 results yet? When are you expecting them?
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I am not at home, where I have the contact information for the other age categories. Sorry! I have all the emails printed out and in a 3 ring binder (the entry forms printed out and the ones I got in the mail), so I have to wait until I go home on Friday! I didn't think the judges would get back to me so quickly, so I'm afraid you will all have to have a little more patience for hearing the results.

      Delete
    2. No sorries!! I get it.
      Oh well. *sigh* I'll be patient... ;-)
      So, you'll email the winners on Friday?

      Delete
    3. I don't think i can wait that long..... :)

      Delete
  4. Before I announce the winners I have to contact them privately, so it will depend on when the winners respond. I'm sorry! I know I am driving everybody crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before I announce the winners I have to contact them privately, so it will depend on when the winners respond. I'm sorry! I know I am driving everybody crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No it's okay that's actually what I meant. You'll email the winners on Friday, right??
    And that's okay, at least you -have- the results, right???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeeeek! SO excited!!!
    Hannah M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay!!! Exciting times! I can't wait for Friday, or I can't wait for whenever you announce the winners! I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! I am so glad you're going to announce the winners early. I am literally on the edge of my seat as I write this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you emailed the winners yet?
    If not, when are you going to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! have you emailed them yet??????

      Delete
  11. Cool your jets, kiddos! I just got home. Give me some time... LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! Glad you got home safe ^.^
      Have you emailed the results yet?? (Sorry, I'm just so anxious!!!!)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, have you???

      Delete
  12. Or if you haven't, when will you?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was so cool! what day exactly does the last ride come out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The official release date is February 27.

      Delete
  14. Have you emailed the results?

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!