Tuesday, February 2, 2016

New York City

It's been a crazy week. I have sent out so many new copies of The Last Ride that I feel like a warehouse. And besides that, judges have been sending me their results. I have the winners of the ages 6-9 and the ages 14-17, but of course I must wait for the winners of the ages 10-13 before I can get official and announce it and get the ball rolling on producing the contest book.

In the meantime . . . Since a lot of you now know Andi's nemesis cousin, Daniel, I thought I'd share a little about where he's from, namely New York City. Hey, I have to blog about something and if I don't give you something, I'll get tied up with so many other things that I'll not blog at all, and that would be terrible! LOL (Someone has asked me to expand on the Circle C cowboys--ranch hands--and I will try to to that, but that takes some work to dig up pictures and bios. So, hang on.) Click the "read more" to read about Daniel's home town.



NEW YORK CITY:


New Amsterdam (Dutch colony) 1664

Uncle Benjamin, Aunt Lydia, and their son, Daniel, live in the largest city in the United States: New York. Originally called “New Amsterdam,” it began as a Dutch trading post in 1624 on the island of Manhattan. The English took control of the post in 1664 and renamed it “New York.” Later, from 1785 until 1790, New York served as the capital of the United States. 

New York City is made up of five boroughs: 1) Manhattan, 2) Brooklyn, 3) Queens, 4) The Bronx, and 5) Staten Island. Until they were combined in 1898, these five boroughs were five separate, distinct cities. The East River Bridge (Brooklyn Bridge) was completed in 1883 and connected the city of Brooklyn to that of Manhattan (where Daniel and his family lived). Manhattan is the busy, skyscraper section of New York City and also home to Central Park. 

Below shows five tourist attractions in New York City. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to determine which places Daniel and his family might have been able to visit in 1884. In case your screen is tiny, you can click on the picture and see it enlarged. However, for the rest of you, let me also type them out:

1. St. Patrick's Cathedral  YES or NO?
2. Statue of Liberty  YES or NO?
3. Empire State Building YES or NO?
4. Central Park   YES or NO?
5. Flatiron Building  YES or NO?
    

27 comments:

  1. This is cool!! Thanks for doing it :-)
    Will you announce the winners as soon as you get the 10-13 results? AKA, very soon?
    Thanks for taking time to blog, it's fun to read new posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I assume that you will announce the winners before April 1rst, since you already have nearly all the results???
    Hannah M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear the contest results!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. St. Patrick's Cathedral NO
    2. Statue of Liberty YES
    3. Empire State Building NO
    4. Central Park YES
    5. Flatiron Building YES

    That's my guess.. am I right??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well . .. not so much, LOL.You did get # 3 & 4 right, though:

      1. St. Patrick's: YES. Finished in 1879
      2. Statue of Liberty: NO. completed in 1886.
      3. Empire State Building: NO. Finished in 1931
      4. Central Park: YES. created in 1857
      5. Flatiron Building: NO. Built in 1902

      Delete
    2. LOL!!!
      Well, at least I got 2/5 right!!
      :-D

      Delete
  5. It's so funny because I know a couple and there names are Ben and Lydia!

    Lexah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lexah, that's so funny!

    Mrs. M, will you post the contest results just as soon as you can after you get the 10-13 results?? (I'm on the edge of my seat waiting...)
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I get them, I'll report them. But I will email the winners privately first. I sure wouldn't want to find out on a public forum! LOL

      Delete
  7. Saint Patricks cathedral yes
    Statue of liberty no
    Empire State building no
    Central park yes
    Flatiron building no

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. St. Patrick's Cathedral YES
    2. Statue of Liberty NO
    3. Empire State Building NO
    4. Central Park YES
    5. Flatiron Building YES

    Cool post! I'm so anxious to learn the winners!!! xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Faith!! I'm super anxious too!! *races around the house screaming*

      Delete
  9. Mrs. M have you sent the other two age category winners emails yet ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I am waiting for all of the winners before I contact any of them. :-)

      Delete
  10. Can you tell us -when- you get the 10-13 results?? So we can know when to keep an eye out for the winners...
    Thanks so much!! (For hosting the contest too!)
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, can you please tell us?

      Delete
    2. I will, of course, email the winners first privately and when they have responded, then I'll announce it. I'm hoping to be able to do that by the end of next week! :-)

      Delete
    3. Oh, okay! That'll be okay then. :-)

      Delete
    4. Yay! So exciting...!
      Hannah M.

      Delete
    5. Do you normally send out the results so early? 'Cause it will only be like a month after the deadline...! And on the form it said that they winners would be announced on the 1rst of April, or something like that..
      Hannah M.

      Delete
    6. I know! But the judges seem to be real go-getters this year. It will be much earlier than the April 1 deadline this year. I usually announce before the stated deadline, but not this early! I put a late deadline just in case something untoward happens and I need more time. It's better to set a late one and announce early than to set an early one and not be able to announce it! :-)

      Delete
  11. what homeschool conferences will you be going to this year Mrs. M?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be at:
      Cincinnati (GHC)
      Wichita, Kansas (TPA)
      Duluth, MN (MACHE)
      Indiana (IAHE)
      Peoria Illinois (APACHE)

      Phoenix, AZ (AFHE)
      Modesto, CA (VHE)

      Delete
    2. Oops, and I forgot . . .
      Bismarck, North Dakota in a couple of weeks!

      Delete
  12. Mrs.M will you be at the Bismark,ND homesschool Conference in 2017?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know yet. Probably not, as we don't usually attend the small conventions year after year in a row.

      Delete

Let Andi know what you think!