Thursday, January 7, 2016

Early Memories

I'm excited. Bethany at A Great God and Good Cocoa tagged me to answer some questions about my early life. She had to go through a "time tunnel" to do it, however, since I live in 1he 1880s and Bethany lives in the far-flung future . . . 2016. So I've taken a deep breath and here we go!  ~ Andi

Go to Bethany's blog for more! 

(This is a real, historical event, by the way)
1. What is your earliest memory? My earliest memory is of when I was not quite four years old. A terrible shaking and rattling woke me up out of a deep sleep. It was March 26, 1872. The awful trembling woke me up in the middle of the night. At the time, I didn't have my own room. I slept with Melinda, thank goodness! It was dark, and I was asleep. Suddenly, a big trembling and shaking woke me up. The whole bed was rolling like I was in a boat. The glass lamps crashed to the floor. Everything on our shelves--books, toys, games--crashed to the floor.

I started screaming, so Melinda grabbed my hand and hauled me--screaming--to Mother and Father. Father caught me up and hugged me tight, then we all got out of there. I guess Father thought it was safer to be outside in the wide, open yard, where nothing could fall on us. The stairs were swaying and the hanging chandelier fell, just missing Mitch and breaking all over the floor.

By the time we got outside, the shaking had stopped. But my crying didn't. I wouldn't let Father put me down the rest of the night. And a good thing too! Because something called "aftershocks" kept happening. It was cold outside, but we all huddled together until the worst of it was over. Now, every time I feel even a little shaking, my mind goes right back to that scary day. My earliest memory. Not so fun.
 
2. What is your earliest memory of a birthday? The year I got Taffy, of course! I was six years old. Chad woke me up, and I was mad at first. But when he carried me out to the barn and I saw Taffy, I forgot to be mad anymore. She and I have the same birthday! I also remember my cake was white. And we made ice cream! Yum! I don't remember anything else I got for my birthday. My new filly overshadowed every other present.


3. What is your earliest memory of a food? Oh, my! That is easy! I always liked to hang around the cowhands and the cookhouse. I always begged to try whatever Cook was fixing. One day when I was about five, a couple of the Mexican hands offered me something from Cook. I took a bite and my whole mouth caught on fire. "Pica, pica, pica!" I screamed (it's hot). The hands roared their laughter. But when my tears gushed, they got scared and wondered what the big boss (Chad) would say. I sure surprised them when--even through my tears--I said, "Quiero mas!" (I want more). The salsa was so tasty, once the fire went out.

4. What is your earliest memory of a gathering? Christmas! And everybody singing around the piano. Every year it's the same. We all sing Christmas carols, since we live so far away from town and can't carol to our neighbors. I remember my first carol--"Away in a Manger." I was four years old.

5. What is your earliest memory of family? My father taking me all around the ranch on his big horse Caesar. I went everywhere with him.

6. What is your favorite memory? See #5


7. What is your earliest memory of a gift? My horse, Taffy!

8. What is your earliest memory of an embarrassment?  I was nine and found out my mother was going to be the substitute teacher for our classroom.


9. What is your earliest memory of when you were scared? See #1. :-) Another memory is when my friend Riley and I got lost one day and ran into Indians!

10. How young were you when you received Christ? I was almost six. My mother took me on her knee after Father died and told me he was in heaven. Right then I knew I wanted to go to heaven too. Mother explained how I needed to ask Jesus to take away my sins. She also explained what "sin" meant. I had no trouble realizing I'd committed any number of sins. My eyes grew wide when I made the connection between my screaming fits when I didn't get my own way, or when I didn't want to obey, or any number of things. I needed Jesus to make me clean on the inside. And then I didn't need to worry the next time I forgot and sinned anyway. I knew Jesus would forgive me anytime I asked. And I get to go to heaven too!

Hope you enjoyed it!
 

28 comments:

  1. Thanks for doing it, Andi! I enjoyed your answers and learning more about your early life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute post! :)
    Also, Mrs. M, do you know when you will get the early copies of The Last Ride? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe this if you will, but my editor just posted on my FB page and told me she held it in her hands TODAY! But I don't know when I will get it. Soon. Very soon. :-)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I saw that comment! I didn't know she was your editor, though! :) Awesome! Can't wait to read it!

      Delete
  3. Great post and fun answers! I loved learning more about Andi's early childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. M Can you enter 2 stories into the contest this year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Ok i thought so :) have you gotten many stories have you gotten?

      Delete
    2. Do you have, like, not enough entries to run the contest??? And not enough in each category?

      Delete
    3. Pretty much that's how it stands right now. But there is still a WHOLE WEEK, and I generally see a swamp of entries the last week. So all is not lost . . . :-)

      Delete
    4. Hey Mrs.M, I know the contest rules state how many words we can use and all, but will a story be disqualified if it went over or under by 40-100 words or so?

      Delete
    5. No, that is within the + or - averages for a contest entry. No worries.

      Delete
    6. Have you gotten any more entries??? Sorry for being so curious, but I'm just so excited!!!!

      Delete
  6. thanks for the post Mrs.M!It was so cute.

    ~Lexah Rae

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading your answers, Andi!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Mrs.M!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a really cool post! It was fun seeing a little bit about Andi's past. Of course, the "Time Tunnel" was fun to hear about, too.

    --KF

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love your past Andi! its sooooooo cool! is it possible to wright more?

    ~ Cheyenne

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was fun learning more about you Andi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mrs. M i sent you a contest story on Wednesday, just wondering if you received it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mrs.M, my friend told me there would be a circle c adventure stand in Bismark in Febuary but I was wondering if you would be there.

    ~Lexah Rae Nelson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I didn't reply here. See below . . .

      Delete
  14. Yes, ma'am! We're going to North Dakota this year. Tell all your friends! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXITED!!!!!!!!!
    Oh, and I already told my friends:p

    Lexah

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!