Thursday, June 4, 2015

Our Favorite Things Part 1

My sister Melinda and I sat down one warm Saturday this spring under my favorite valley oak tree (behind the horse barn) and talked about our favorite (and least favorite) things in life. The list went on and on, but I highlighted a few of our answers here.When we finished, we both dissolved into gales of laughter. I mean, honestly? Could two sisters be more different than Melinda Jane and Andrea Rose Carter? There is one area in which we both agree, however. Our mother, Elizabeth Carter, is at the top of our list as "Most admired woman."

But we don't agree on much of anything else. Here is a rundown of three of "Our Favorite Things":

1. FAVORITE BOOK
My favorite book is A Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne. If I read it just before bed, with my lamp turned down to barely a flame, I can imagine myself inside the bowels of the earth, journeying to see strange, new places with Axel, Hans, and the professor. I also like From the Earth to the Moon and a Trip Around It. But that's harder for me to believe than going under the earth. I mean, really! Nobody can fly into outer space. There is no air out there . . . or so they say. The moon will probably never have visitors.

Melinda's all-time favorite is Little Women by Louisa M. Alcott. She curls up in front of the fire with that book (she's read it fourteen times!) pops some corn, and sighs a lot. She used to read it out loud to me. I've heard it at least three times in my life. When Melinda starts sniffing and her eyes tear up, I know she's got to the part where Beth dies.
2. FAVORITE ACTIVITY
My favorite activity is racing Taffy . . . with whomever will take me on. Melinda used to race me on Panda, and I won every time (maybe that's why she started saying 'no' when I asked her). I've raced with my nephew Levi (we tied), and Chad (I won most of the time, but he won once or twice). Mitch and I race, but *sigh* I have never beat him. Chase is just too fast! I love feeling the wind whipping through my hair.

Melinda's favorite activity is dancing. She thinks a barn dance or a New Year's Eve ball is the best thing ever. Oh, you should have seen her at the Governor's Ball in Sacramento last year. She was knee-deep in young men all wanting to waltz her around the ballroom floor. The governor himself danced with her. (I refuse to dance with anybody but my brothers. It's safer that way. At least I know what to talk to them about.)
 3. FAVORITE WINTER ACTIVITY
It's hot and sunny during the spring and summer, but the San Joaquin Valley has its share of soggy and chilly winter days and evenings. When the sun sets early our family likes to gather in the library in front of the blazing fire. I like to play checkers with Mitch or Chad, and I like to play chess with Justin. I can beat Mitch but not Chad. And it's really tough to beat Justin at chess. But it can be done if I have enough patience. Which isn't very often.

Melinda plays checkers too, but she doesn't like it near as much as she likes stitching samplers and quilt blocks. My sister must have five patchwork quilts folded and crammed into her hope chest. They are beautiful but what does she possibly need with FIVE quilts in California? I have one quilt. All right, I confess. I have HALF a quilt finished. I started it when I was ten years old. I think it will take me years to complete it.
 Click HERE for more of Melinda and my favorite things.
 

10 comments:

  1. So cool! Can't wait for more! :D

    ~Lydia~ <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was rather fun to read. :) I'll look forward to learning more of their favorite things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was hilarious to read and so cute. I love all the little facts we can learn about Melinda and Andi. They are very different, but sisters usually are. I loved this and I really enjoyed reading it! Thanks for writing it up, "Andi"! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't be so sure about the whole "never go to the moon" thing Andi, haha! Great post. It's fun!
    ~ JT

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was neat! Looking forward to the next one!

    ~Skylar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this post! It is fun to hear about Andi and Melinda as sisters :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was so much fun to read! Thanks, Andi!
    I like the picture of Melinda! She's pretty; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked seeing the picture too :)

      Delete
  8. I loved this post!! It was really interesting and funny. I'll be looking out for the next one. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!