Friday, June 26, 2015

Photo Friday: Aunt Rebecca's Hat

Gather 'round, friends, and take a peek at what Melinda and I found the other day. We were rummaging through a trunk in the attic and out fell an old picture of me in a big, ugly hat. A minute later, Melinda found another picture. It was of a really pretty young woman. Melinda and I had no idea who it was. It didn't look quite like Mother when she was young but *surprise* she looked a little bit like our sister, Kate. Very strange, because Kate would NEVER put on a hat like that!

We brought both photographs downstairs and asked Mother. She began to laugh. "No, it's not Katherine," she agreed. "But I never knew there was such a resemblance between Rebecca and Katherine." What?? Aunt Rebecca? Old, persnickety Aunt Rebecca? (Honestly, I would prefer not to have heard that, because everybody says I look like my big sister, Kate, which means . . . yikes! Don't say it, but you can extrapolate as easily as I can.)

Melinda and I discovered that another mystery was solved too. What mystery, you ask? Well, the mystery of why on earth our Aunt Rebecca would bring Melinda and me two monstrous hats one summer's day back when I was 8 and Melinda was 13. Just look at the hat dear Aunt Rebecca has perched on her head. One cocky move and crash! That fancy, expensive piece of head gear would be on the ground. It sure explains why she brought us the hats. She must love those things! Like aunt, like nieces . . .?

Oh, how I wish Melinda and I had found the old photograph of her wearing the hat, but alas, only mine was there. Mother looked the pictures over. Then she slipped the one of Aunt Rebecca into her special drawer in her desk and she gave my picture to me. I hid it away. Some day I'll show it to my children and boy howdy! Won't they laugh out loud!

6 comments:

  1. How funny! I love the story of Aunt Rebecca and the hat in Tales form the Circle C Ranch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, wow! That's a big hat!!

    ~Lydia~ <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how heavy that thing is! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! I can't imagine wearing something like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me neither! How people can keep their heads up wearing a hat like that seems impossible!!!!!!!! :-O

    ReplyDelete
  6. Imagine trying to get through a door!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!