Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Teachers Past and Present: Part 2

Mr. Gerald Foster
Last time I posted about Miss Hall. Today, I will introduce you to Mr. Gerald Foster, my teacher from age 12 and a half until I left school at age 16 (and not a moment too soon!). He looks *gulp* strict, doesn't he? And he was awfully free with his ruler and switch!

Here is his description, straight from Dangerous Decision:



    The new schoolmaster marched confidently up the aisle with long, purposeful strides. No dust covered his neatly pressed dark pants and waistcoat. No fear showed in his stern, unsmiling face. Not a hair was misplaced, not a button undone. 
     He stood in front of his desk and studied his new students with dark gray eyes. “I am Mr. Foster, your new schoolmaster,” he said when the room had quieted. “The school board warned me that this is a rowdy class. I am here to see that it is rowdy no longer.” He crossed his arms over his chest and set his lips in a thin, grim line, as if daring anyone to disagree.
      Andi chanced a quick glance at the boys from the corner of her eye. Every boy sat ramrod straight, gazes locked on Mr. Foster. Even Johnny Wilson looked subdued.
      Mr. Foster took his place behind his desk and began speaking. “You will conduct yourselves as ladies and gentlemen at all times—both inside the classroom and after hours.” He held up his hand and began ticking off on his fingers, “Truthfulness, honesty, punctuality, cleanliness, and kindness to others will be the ambition of our class, along with the highest standards of academic achievement. To achieve these goals, I have drawn up a list of rules.” 

Oh, yeah! Mr. Foster had a whole list of rules--terrible rules, like not even climbing a tree. And no creatures in the classroom. That didn't bode well for Cory's snake, the one he'd brought me just that morning. Worse . . . I felt his ruler against my palm on the very first day! And it wasn't even my fault. I never liked him very much until much, much later. And I don't think he ever liked me very much, either, although I did eventually earn his respect.

 

12 comments:

  1. Looks just like I imagined Mr. Foster!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a teacher almost EXACTLY like Mr. Foster. My teacher was named Mrs.Tonshishta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a strict teacher like Mr. Foster in math.

      Delete
  3. Mr. Foster reminds me of the teacher on Little House on the Prairie "Troublemaker". He was extremely strict as well.
    I'm enjoying these post & pics!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I also saw the Little House on the Prairie episode "Troublemaker" and Mr. Foster reminds me a little of him as well:-)

      Delete
    2. Yes, but the teacher on Little House was not as young as Mr. Foster. He was played by Richard Basehart, who played Admiral Nelson back in the 60s in my all-time, first-favorite show when I was 10 years old: Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. He was the admiral aboard the submarine Seaview.

      He got old and grumpy on LIttle House. LOL

      Delete
  4. Mrs. M, I entered the short-story contest and didn't win. Can I send you the story as a fan story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have it, if you entered the contest. Just tell me the name and I can resurrect it from the files.

      I'm so sorry you didn't win! Your stories are always fun to read!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! The name was "A Life Changed, A Family Changed." (I think.) I changed the title several times but I think this was what I stuck with in the end.

      Delete
  5. He is not AT ALL how I pictured him! But boy does he look intimidating!!!

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!