Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Thick as Thieves . . . Final Sneak Peek

Thick as Thieves comes out in about one month, so here I will present the fourth--and final--sneak peek into the storyline. I thought y'all might want to meet Lucinda (Lucy) Hawkins. You've heard of her before, but here she is fleshed out a bit for you. It is from Chapter 13, and Andi has had a rotten day at school (I won't tell you why). She's on her way to what she thinks will be a good, fast ride on Taffy . . . but something terrible happens (which, of course, is not part of ANY sneak peek. Sorry! LOL)

 


       Andi turned the corner and continued down K Street until the livery came into view. “Everything will look better after a good, fast ride home on Taffy,” she told herself. “And I have two whole days to work with the colts.” Her spirits rose. “Maybe I’ll ride up to my special spot.”
       The clop, clop, clop of nearby hooves brought Andi out of her weekend planning. She looked up. A shiny black, two-seated buggy rolled to a stop along the sidewalk. “Andi!” a cheerful voice called to her.
       “Howdy, Lucy.” Andi wondered—not for the first time—why Justin and Lucy hadn’t set a wedding date. Still, she was glad they were taking their time. She didn’t want to lose Justin just yet. Who would help smooth things over with Mother if Andi’s oldest and favorite brother was not around? Who would step in and take her side when she and Chad clashed?  
        Take as much time as you like, big brother. Maybe somebody else will sweep Lucy off her feet while you’re dillydallying.
       Andi knew her thoughts were silly and little-girl selfish. Everybody grew up, and most folks got married. It was as inevitable as the rising sun, and it wasn’t like Justin was rushing into it. No sirree! He was thirty years old—nearly an old man.
       Andi could not find one legitimate reason for not liking her brother’s choice for a wife, except that she was from the city. Andi was wise enough not to air her prejudice out loud. The stranger-from-San-Francisco objection would never fly with Justin. Besides, Lucy lived in Fresno now and kept house for her brother, an up-and-coming young lawyer. Her whole family was delighted with the prospect of their daughter marrying Justin Carter.
       Right now, the future Mrs. Justin Carter looked completely at ease driving the lively bay horse. She brushed a wayward strand of dark-brown hair from her face and said, “I saw Mitch in town earlier. He thought Justin might like it if I surprised him and rode out to the ranch for supper.” She smiled, and dimples cut into both cheeks. “I heard he’s missing town these days.”
       “You heard right,” Andi said. “He’s had enough of standing night watches and listening to Chad rant about rustlers.” She giggled. “He says it’s worse than putting up with a hostile witness in court. He misses his quiet, tidy law office.” She smiled up at Lucy. “Mostly, though, I think he misses seeing you.”
       Lucy’s cheeks turned pink. “I’m on my way out to the ranch. Would you like a ride?”
       Andi shook her head. “The colts are being weaned, so I’ve been riding Taffy to town the past couple of weeks. Mother had a long talk with Mr. Foster about allowing me to wear a split skirt so I could ride astride.” She looked down at her dark-brown outfit. “He gave his permission, though grudgingly.”
       “You could tie Taffy up behind the buggy,” Lucy urged.
       Andi felt torn. Lucy clearly wanted company for the hour-long drive out to the ranch. I don’t want to talk. I want to ride. She backed away from the buggy. “Thanks, Lucy, but I’ve had a bad day. I need to ride it out.”
       “I understand.” The barest hint of disappointment colored Lucy’s voice. “I’ll see you at the ranch.”
       Andi grinned. “I bet I beat you there.”
       “If you do, don’t tell Justin I’m coming. I want to surprise him.”
       “I promise.”


24 comments:

  1. She seems really nice. A perfect match for Justin I would say!;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I'm pretty excited for the book to come out! How old is Andi in these books?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can hardly wait for the book to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What could possibly go wrong I wonder :)
    looking forwards to reading the whole book :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my story I make Chad marry someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the fact that Chad falls in love already makes the story very interesting :)

      Delete
  6. When in February does the book come out? SO EXCITED!!!!!!
    ~Lulu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. February 27, but I'll get it earlier than that. :-) And I can sell them. :-) :-)

      Delete
  7. I'm really excited for the book to come out! How many will you get and be able to sell early? Also when does Tales from Circle C Ranch come out and will you get those early as well? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will get 50 copies early (and maybe more if I buy a big box of them). The author copies come right away, so I'll have plenty to sell before it's on amazon or in bookstores.

      Tales from the CC Ranch comes out the very end of March, and I'll get those early too, but I might be at a homeschool convention when they show up.

      Delete
    2. Will you be attending the Christian Heritage conference in WA this year?; )

      Delete
    3. No, I will be at the MPE in Kansas city the same weekend

      Delete
    4. I will be. What about you Anne?

      Delete
  8. Mrs. M I sent in my story this morning.. I was just wondering if you had gotten it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo! Looking forward to the new books! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wondering, do you have enough entries for the older category in the contest yet? I'm doing my final checks on my story now.
    Also, my sibling got some of the younger Andi series. They were quite happy!
    Today, at a second hand store, I also found a second-hand copy of "Badge of Honour". If I did not have it already, I probably would have bought it! I felt like telling the owner of the store that he happened to have a book by one of my favourite authors!
    :D
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. :-)
    And yes, I have enough entries for the 14-17 contest -- just barely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am SO EXCITED for the book to come out!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!