Monday, January 19, 2015

Circle C Milestones #2

It won't be long until CCMilestones 1, Thick a Thieves, hits the bookstore shelves. Right now I (Andi) would like to share the title Mrs. M's publisher has given for book 2 of the CCM. Ready?

Heartbreak Trail

Mrs. M so wishes she could show you the cover they sent her, but as usual, we have to wait until Kregel gives their "okay." You will love it! I do! Would you like a back cover summary? You do? Okay, here it is! Enjoy! Heartbreak Trail is scheduled for release for Fall 2015.



Andrea Carter can ride, rope, and cut out cattle with the best of her brothers’ ranch hands. Yet, her mother has always held her youngest daughter back from fully participating in ranch activities.

With the approach of her fifteenth birthday, even the ranch boss, big brother Chad, can’t deny that his baby sister is better at ranch skills than some of his cowhands. When the subject of what Andi would like for her all-important “quinceaƱera” (a Mexican birthday tradition), her answer is, “I want to help with the upcoming cattle drive.” She has newspaper clippings to back up her desire, all about spirited women who balked at society’s expectations and mounted their horses to follow their dreams. 

Stunned silence greets Andi’s announcement, but after further discussion, even Mother agrees that the only way to get this cattle-drive notion out of Andi’s head is by letting her and Andi's nephew, Levi, go along as Cook’s helpers. Then she can see for herself that it is not a holiday. Andi is elated. What can go wrong on a two-week drive to Los Angeles? If she wearies of the drive, she agrees to let Chad and Mitch put her on the train in Bakersfield and send her home.

Andi quickly discovers that a cattle drive is a dirty, dangerous business, with little sleep and the same food day after day. Between late nights, dust, mosquitoes, and an abrasive cowhand trying to win Andi’s attention, it is definitely not a holiday. Andi grimly determines to stick it out. 

When a river crossing goes wrong and Chad is shot in a firefight with the suspicious men who have been shadowing the herd, the trail boss, Mitch, finds himself dangerously shorthanded. Andi and Levi can no longer just give Cook a hand. It’s time to pitch in and help Mitch get their cattle to market—any way they can.  


I hope you enjoyed the sneak peek into my upcoming adventure! 
 

23 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! This sounds SUPER exciting! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Quite an interesting and tantalizing look. Quick question: Andi, does Mrs. M. write the back of your books or does her publisher?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. M is asked to write a 200-word summary when she fills out a current marketing questionnaire for her publisher, from which they write the actual back cover material (what you see above is what I sent in). As is, it's too long for an actual bcc. However, Mrs. M did not much like the BCC they wrote for Thick as Thieves (you can see that here by clicking the back cover on the amazon "see inside" feature), so she rewrote it and asked them to use it, which they did. Mrs. M has pretty much created the BCC for all of her books.

      Delete
  3. Sounds so exciting! I can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to it! What is the age group on it? Also, it's kinda weird, I feel like I've already read the book or something. . .was there a fan story basically identical or something? Where would I have an idea of what the plot line and everything is? Weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same age group as all of the new CCMilestones books: ages 12 and up (or younger readers will enjoy it, but it's a much-more in-depth novel than the CCAdventures.

      Bethany, Bethany . . . you are too astute! LOL Long ago I threw up a little story called "Cattle Drives Are Not for Greenhorns," about 15,000 words. When I got the contract for the CCMilestones series, I needed an adventurous plot-line. I thought this old short-story (originally intended for the Tales from the CCRanch collection, with Andi being 12) would be just the ticket if I used the basic plot-line--Andi goes on cattle drive. Lots of scary and exciting things happen, not the least of them being Chad getting shot.

      Other than the basic premise, the novel reads entirely different from the original short-story. Andi's almost 15, I included Levi on the drive, and it's 50,000 words instead of a measly 15,000.

      I'll confess right now: Heartbreak Trail is my favorite of all the Andi books that I've written.

      Delete
    2. P.S. Pretty much ALL of the old short stories I've written for this blog--for fun--have been taken down (or changed to 'draft post') once I got the contract for the Tales short-story collection. And . . . some of the new ones I put up occasionally may well be taken down in the future, if I get a contract for a second "More Tales from the CCRanch." You fans are my inspiration! I love writing little stories for the blog, and those are in a BOOK because of you (the fan who said, "Could we please have the stories in a book?" even though she could read them free here on the blog. I never would have thought about it otherwise. :-)

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the compliment! It means a lot! I look forward to the books coming out!!! Quick qu, sorry, what age group is CCAdventures for? I have a little sis who is dying to read them!

      Delete
    4. Basically, if she can read them, then they are for her age group. LOL
      I've had a little 7 year old read them all (and my granddaughter read them when she was 7), but the "official" age level is Middle Grade (ages 8-12) although MY official age thing is 9-14, since so many teens like the books, since they aren't written "down" to kids.

      The official age group of the CCMilestones is ages 12 and up, but honestly, I can guarantee that middle-grade (grades 4-6) will gobble the books up too. It's just that Andi is a teen in the books, so they're geared (interest-wise) for teens.

      Hope that helps!

      Delete
    5. Are you going to post LOTS of sneak peeks like you did with the first book cause I love the sneak peeks. YEAH!

      Delete
    6. well . .. maybe not LOTS, but I will try to find some that will get you excited for the new book. :-)

      Delete
  5. Wow I am really looking forwards to seeing this book come out... I was already really excited about the first one... You are forcing us all to learn patience thats for sure :)
    All your books have been a huge blessing... Thanks Mrs. M.
    May God bless this process of getting this book published and keep it as stress free as possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heartbreak Trail sounds so good! I am very excited about the new Circle C Milestones Series, can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to all the new books! But I must say, this one sounds like one of those can't-put-it-down-until-you-reach-the-end books. Lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait for the book to come out!! I am starting to run out of books to read (again) so I will finally have something to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super excited for these books to come out!!! Keep up the good writing Mrs.M!! :)

    ~ Leah K.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the title Heartbreak Trail!!!! Cant wait to read it!!!
    Thank you Mrs. M for writing more Andi books!!!!!!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would Andi's brothers drive the cattle to Los Angeles every year? Or would it make sense to drive them to other towns?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the army offered them a really good price. Usually they'd just go to the rail head in Stockton or another town. Whoever buys the beef. :-)

      Delete

Let Andi know what you think!