Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Chat Room Back On Line

Today, an adult friend noticed some suspicious activity in our Chat Room. I appreciate her eagle eye and her willingness to email me and bring it to my attention. As a result, I felt we should not take any chances and I took the Chat Box off line. The "spammer" ID is a red flag because as sad as this may sound, there are some really bad people out there, lurking on the Internet and ready to spoil all our fun.

Not long afterwards I received an email via the Blogger Contact Form. This gracious fan confessed that she was the "Spammer," and it was all a practical joke. No hard feelings! I like jokes, but I think in our case it's a wake-up call to make sure we all--like the Scripture says--conduct ourselves in a manner worthy of the Gospel of Christ, which means we are kind, funny, sad, (or even angry at times for the right reasons), but not sneaky or suspicious-sounding. Or mean to each other. I think freedom of speech is a great thing, but the Circle C Chat Room limits freedom of speech if it is suspicious in nature. Hey, I'm the boss, right? LOL 

And remember . . . you NEVER have to use your real name. You can make up a pen name (and you can tell us it's a pen name if you want), but please don't tell everybody where you live, okay? You can say the great state of Oregon or England, or Timbuktu, but let's not give any occasion to the enemy to use too much freedom against us.

I was going to put the "Spammers" apology letter up here, but I don't think I need to do that. I'd just as soon put it all behind us and press forward!

I do worry about REAL "spammers" finding us. If they do and I have to take the Chat Box down for legitimate safety reasons, I could look into a private forum on line (not sure how that works, but I can research it), where you have to be approved (by me) to enter and then it's really, really safe and very private.

But I won't rush into anything, since our "spammer" was ONE OF US. :-)

19 comments:

  1. Glad it wasn't a "real" spammer!
    By the way, will Troy return in the milestones series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but another beloved character will, but I'm not going to say who that is! Sorry!

      Delete
    2. Beloved character.... Hmm that could be anyone! :)

      Delete
    3. Just about!

      By the way, Thanks, Susan!

      Delete
    4. Is it Ryle? Just guessing! : )
      ~ Leah K.

      Delete
    5. See this part above?? LOL ( . . . but I'm not going to say who it is.)
      You guys can guess and guess and guess, but I'll never tell! :-)

      Delete
    6. Aaawww!!! That makes me to really, really want to read the books!!!! I can't wait!!!
      ~ Leah K.

      Delete
    7. I bet I know who it is, Ryle!

      Delete
  2. Mrs. M, why are there "ads" that pop up on the side bars?
    ~ Leah K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's because of the Shout Box! AUGH! It's a FREE shout box but I think they're starting to do ads. If that is the CASE, the Shout Box will go down. NO ADS.

      Delete
    2. I was wondering too. Freaked me out at first, thought my laptop had a virus or something... :P They seem to be "quizzes". So far only two have popped up. I'll let you know Mrs. M if I see any more even though the chat box is down. :)

      Delete
    3. If you were to do a private forum, how would we have to be "approved" by you to enter it?
      ~ Leah K.

      Delete
    4. You would supply your email and I would approve you. :-)

      Delete
    5. Okay : ). Thanks Mrs. M!
      ~ Leah K.

      Delete
  3. Did you approve of my email address Andi?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing is set up yet, and if and when it happens, it will go through a different venue . . . not just to my email Inbox. :-)

      Delete
  4. I just wanted to say, that whoever the "Spammer" was, that they did the right thing by speaking up. :D Thanks for being brave and letting everyone know!
    God bless!
    John 3:16

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!