Friday, September 19, 2014

Front Piece for Thick as Thieves

Breaking news for my loyal blog readers: today I got the proof pages (the very last step before the book goes to the printer). I wasn't sure what the designer would do for the front piece, but now I can see it. And I like it a lot, even better than what I had suggested with the "poster-like" graphic I shared months ago. This looks perfect for an older audience, and it's clean and crisp. (But I'm not sure if the FRIENDSHIP is a bit too big.) Thoughts?

And below is the font they chose for Andi's journal entries. I'm so happy they picked an old-fashioned font instead of plain, old italics.But here's the thing. They took out the "Andi's Journal" label, thinking it was redundant (it is, I guess).

So you tell me . . . if you just see the journal entry, are y'all smart enough to figure out Andi is writing it down somewhere (especially since it's in cursive) without me needing to include "Andi's Journal" every single time? Or should there be a date, maybe? (Date = a lot of work for me to go back and find them.) Check it out below and tell me what you think about needing (or not needing) a label on each journal entry. You can see it up close by clicking on the new STORY EXCERPT, which I updated with the new fonts and things (since the JPG below is rather small and hard to see). Let me know before September 26!


 

21 comments:

  1. I think it looks good and I don't think "Andi's Journal" needs to be there. :) The look and the few sentences tell it for you. I do think that "Friendship" seems a little too big. But you don't want it too much smaller either.
    That's my thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't' think you need to write "Andi's Journal" It seems pretty obvious to me :) And I think the "Friendship" looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole thing looks fine! It is easy to see that it is Andi writing, so it really doesn't need to say Andi's Journal.
    ~ JT

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my opinion, the new layout is perfect. The front piece looks really authentic/1800s with the new font styles and letter sizes. Like what I would imagine seeing inside the cover of a book in Andi's day. Even Andi's new handwriting lends to a more vintage look... I love it!
    --AJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like it! I like the idea of the journal entries too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it and I love the scripture verse! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the journal idea.-Tara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks fantastic!! :D
    Hey Mrs. M, how much older is Jack then Andi? Or are they the same age?
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cory and Jack are the same age . . . one year older than Andi

      Delete
    2. Great! Thank you! :D

      Delete
  9. oh-mer-gersh! Is it twins? Is she having twins? That's one of the only explanations I can come up with...With no hoof coming out an all...btw whose the foals sire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what? That would be telling. There are other reasons for a hoof not peeking out besides twins. LOL (mal-presentation like one leg curled back, etc.). (We had milk goats and sheep so have seen all kinds of birthing issues).

      Oh, Sebastian is the sire, at least that's what I named him. I do need to figure out what he looks like though, LOL. Maybe I'll do another "help me out" post. :-)

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness Frankie!! I thought the same thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect! No changes necessary! I can't wait and it looks sooooo great!!!
    I love it!
    A date would be cool but not if it's work. Just get it to the printer!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. It goes to the printer in late November or early December . . . for a February 28 release date. But I'll probably get MY copies to sell before the books hit the bookstores (probably in January)

      Delete
  12. I read the excerpt but I'm so sad! Justin's my favorite character! He can't get married and move away from Andi!!! I'll cry if he does lol. That would be horrible! Hopefully something will happen and he can't. I guess that's kind of mean to him (haha), but I don't want him to get married! If he does, though, I wonder if Andi will be jealous. I probably would, considering Justin's her favorite brother. Oh well .I'm not writing the books lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's only moving to town, Alaina, and he and Andi will see plenty of each other, so no worries! And instead of losing her brother, she gains another sister, one who will play an important role in the last book, book 4.

      In the end, it is more awkward to not have these grown-up men (and Melinda) not eventually marrying . . . even though I'm with you on Andi missing her favorite brother. But . . . Andi has to grow up too. :-) *SAD FACE*

      I could write lots and lots of stories about Andi at the same age all the time, but my daughter, who loved the old MANDIE books, was really disgusted because "Mandie" NEVER grew up or got older. "Don't do that to Andi," she told me. :-)

      Delete
  13. Oh, I know. I'm slightly exaggerating. But I am kinda sad still. Just as long as he's still in the books pretty often, I'll be good. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!