Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Choose a Name for Andi's Uncle


A young James Carter
James Carter just before his death in 1874
You have all given me some great ideas for names for Andi's uncle. So many good ones, in fact, that I've decided to put up another poll to determine which one will end up being his name for Book 3 of the CCMilestones, The Last Ride.

I picked out 6 names that 1) didn't start with a letter in the Carter family already or anyone else of significance in the books and 2) sound old-fashioned and not too modern. I put up 2 pictures of Andi's father, James Carter. This is, of course, what his twin brother, [insert new name], looks like too. That's so you can "see" him. So, vote! Does he look like a Timothy, a Benjamin, a Robert, a Nathaniel, a Richard, or a Paul?

Here is a short bio on [insert new name], to see if that helps you decide on his name:

While James Carter was busy out West striking it rich in the California Gold Rush in 1849 and 1850 (and marrying Elizabeth and starting his ranch with the gold), his older sister, Rebecca (yes, THAT Aunt Rebecca) and their brother [insert new name] stayed back east in New York City, where their parents resided. James' twin brother busily went about making his own fortune in the city and became an important architect, who actually ends up being involved in the building of the Brooklyn Bridge in the 1880s.When Andi's father died in 1874, his brother and his family made the trip out West for James' funeral. Andi was too young to remember much of that visit, and the New York Carters haven't been west since (until book 3 of the Milestones series). Aunt Rebecca moved permanently to San Francisco to be near James' family, but [insert new name] stayed on the East coast.

[Insert new name] and his wife, Ellen, had four children, but only the youngest, Daniel (key player in The Last Ride), survived infancy. Which might be the reason why his mother and father dote on Daniel and overlook his many character flaws, excusing his behavior rather than curbing it.

Which reminds me! I need a picture of Daniel! Feel free to email me at susankmarlow@gmail.com with any possibilities. The only thing the story states is that he looks enough like Mitch (tall, blond, handsome) to be his twin, but he's obviously not matured and filled out like Mitch. And I don't just want to use another picture of Mitch (which I've had a hard time finding anyway).

By the way, here is my latest picture of Mitch.


16 comments:

  1. I'd say either Robert or Benjamin... I'll go with Robert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my I wrote a story about Daniel and his father coming to the circle c ( for the contest). now I'm going to have to change a lot of it... Witch might be a good idea seeing that I'm 500 words over:P :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since book 3 won't be coming out for probably a year and a half (or longer), I'd say your contest story can stand however you want to imagine Daniel and his father coming to the ranch! It would be fun to see your perspective. Don't feel locked into anything that has not yet been written, Janelle! :-) That's what the contest is all about. If you'll recall, one of the stories (Circling Wolves) that won had a different idea for Andi's aunt and uncle. They lived in Oregon, of all places! So make up whatever you want!

      Remember, I'm not the judge, and the judges don't have a clue about my newest story idea. Yes, you might want to use the "find and replace" to change Uncle David's name to the new one, but only cut out the 500 words to stay under the word count. That is easy to do and still keep the storyline you created.

      Delete
    2. Ok thanks Mrs. M:-) by the way I saw that it says that David and his family never met Elizabeth and her kids. But why wouldn't they have come for James funeral??

      Delete
    3. Yikes! I don't remember writing that they never met E and the kids. Where is that? I read it again and didn't see that. Maybe it was easy to infer, so I added more (see above). to clarify things. They did come out west for the funeral.

      Delete
    4. It was in your post about James.

      Delete
  3. Love the new picture of Mitch. Very nice. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, that definitely looks like Mitch. Perfect pic!
    Benjamin is my favorite name for Andi's Uncle. But I also kinda like Nathaniel...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going for Nathaniel. I LOVE the new pic it's kinda how I imagined Mitch. Tara

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the new picture of Mitch...I think it catches his character a little better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feel free to check out the "Andi's Family" link and see the clearer picture I found of Mitch. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's the same person, I'm pretty sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, love the picture of Daniel!
    (or should I say "Blue"? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The picture in this post is of Mitch. You must have gone into "Andi's Family"?

      Delete
    2. Opps, yeah I did. Sorry, I forgot to clarify that... :P
      But I really like the pic of Mitch too! :)

      Delete

Let Andi know what you think!