Friday, May 2, 2014

Photo Friday: Circle C Animals Part 2

It is hard to leave the horses, but the Circle C ranch is a cattle ranch, after all, so here is the story of our cattle.  

Go HERE for Part 1:
Moving on to cattle, I haven't much to say. The calves are cute, but I don't jump for joy seeing a herd of 5,000 or more steers. They all look alike to me.

We name very few cattle. The milk cows might have names, but since I don't milk any cows, I'll leave that to the dairy hands who do. I think I heard one of them call them "One, Two, and Three" once.





Kind of scary-looking, isn't he?
One of the bulls I know by name is Prince Reginald, sire of most of the Circle C herd. He's one of those rare "natural hornless" (polled) shorthorns, and that's probably a good thing. He looks docile, but he is not. I stay clear when I see Prince Reginald's distinctive markings anywhere on the range.




Isn't he the cutest little thing ever?
Reginald's sons are good bulls too. Here is his most recent calf, whom Chad is raising to include as breeding stock. Chad is hoping he got his sire's rare "polled" gene, but only time will tell. Most of our cattle have horns, but not those Texas longhorn types.

At first I named the calf "Calico," but Chad told me that's no name for a bull. So now I call him El Montana, which means "mountain" in Spanish. I think he's going to grow up to be a mountain of a bull.

Read PART 3

 

14 comments:

  1. Aww! El Montana is ADORABLE!! ^_^ I love cows!
    Polled genetics are really neat. Hope that little guy is polled Andi! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah! Really cute :)

      Delete
    2. also wanted to say that story you posted a while back about Andi at the dance was really good and funny!

      Delete
  2. Aw I like cows when there little but ...not so much when their older....

    ReplyDelete
  3. El Montana is such a cutie! He looks alot like his sire! :-)

    -Sarah Beth-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool!!!!!!!!!! I forgot I asked that question. LOL :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the calf BEST...but of course, I'm prejudiced towards horses, and I have to say: Horses are WAY more awesome than steers...I'm sure y'all agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BUT...Steers taste better!!!
      ~Leah =D

      Delete
    2. I agree steers do taste better. Just thinking about it makes me hungry.
      Mrs. Marlow are you going to tell us about Dusty from the cattle drive?

      Delete
    3. Very possibly, but not for some time . . . :-)

      Delete
    4. I agree with you Rebecca!!!!! Horses are cooler than cows!;-) story to all you cow lovers:P

      Delete

Let Andi know what you think!