Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Let's Go Fishing . . . for Story Beginnings (Part 2)

Go here for PART 1. Do you remember the 7 techniques for hooking your reader right from the start? If not, here they are as a review (you'll need them if you want to try the activity below):

1. Dialogue
2. Action
3. A Question
4. A Thought or Feeling
5. An Interesting Character
6. An Unusual Setting
7. A Sound Effect

Now that we have that all settled, below are the beginnings of some books I found. Can you figure out which "bait" the authors used (sometimes more than one) to hook their readers? You can write your answers in the comments.



1. I am afraid. Someone is coming. That is, I think someone is coming, and I pray that I am wrong. 
~Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O’Brien   Hook: ______________

2. In the last days of Narnia, far up the west beyond Lantern Waste and close beside the great waterfall, there lived an Ape. He was so old that no one could remember when he had first come to live in those parts, and he was the cleverest, ugliest, most wrinkled Ape you can imagine.  
~The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis      Hook:_____________

3. It happened so quickly, so unexpectedly, that Little Jon’s cry was almost instantly cut short as the blackness closed over him. No one knew the hole was there. It hadn’t been there the day before, and in the twilight no one noticed it.  
~The Forgotten Door by Alexander Key     Hook:____________

4. “Cluck, cluck, cluck!” TJ Stenson glanced toward the source of the chicken imitation and quickly looked away. He wished the after-school activities bus would hurry. Why was it always late on the days when Craig Ackerley decided to hassle him? “Cluck, cluck, cluck, CLUCK. Cluck CLUCK!” TJ ignored him.     
~Night of Fear by Peg Kehret       Hook: __________________

5. When twelve-year-old Andrea Carter brought her golden palomino mare to a skidding halt near her favorite fishing spot, she expected to find a bubbling, splashing creek full of trout just waiting to be snatched up for supper. Instead, she found a dead man.    
~Andrea Carter and the Family Secret by Susan K. Marlow  
Hook: _______________

6. “Little Man, would you come on? You keep it up and you’re gonna make us late.” My youngest brother paid no attention to me.     
~Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor     
Hook:______________

7. Way cool! Me, Dakota Anderson, humming down the road beside my dad in his brand-new red Ferrari! I sank into the leather seat, breathing in the new car smell and squinting against the sun’s rays shooting off the hood.    
 ~Out at Home by Jeannie St. John Taylor    Hook: _____________ 

Go to PART 3

 photo MrsM_zpsa9f216b8.png

8 comments:

  1. These posts bring back fond memories when I did this course several years ago. :D I do love seeing them again!
    :D

    -Calamity Rene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's see... I think I got them down.
    I'm going for:
    1. Feeling
    2. Unusual setting
    3. Action
    4. Sound effect
    5. Unusual setting
    6. Dialogue
    7. Feeling
    How is that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, Anne, although I would probably include that #2 is "interesting Character" since the old Ape is also being described. Some of these openings can use more than one hook. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I put up one of my "hooks" and have people try to guess it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason Friday's post was scheduled for tomorrow. I just posted it and YES! It's time to share. But do it on the new post, okay? :-)

      Delete
  5. Here are my guesses:

    1. A feeling
    2.Interesting Character
    3.Action
    4.A sound effect
    5.An unusual setting (This one was tricky for me..)
    6.Dialogue
    7.A thought or feeling

    I guess my answers are almost exactly like Anne's!

    It's fun trying to find the "hooks"! I've found I've been trying to find the "hooks" of all the books I've been reading! I love reading (and I read ALOT, just ask my older sister!), so I've been doing it to alot of books! :-D

    -Sarah Beth-

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!