Sunday, March 2, 2014

New Friends, Old Enemies . . . by Jesseca

While you are waiting for the big announcement, I thought I'd share a new fan story. Here are chapters 1 and 2; tomorrow chapters 3-5. I am sorry, but I have no idea WHY this story has white around the words. I've tried to get rid of it, but to no avail. Enjoy!
Chapter 1 A Prank...And a Visitor

16 year-old Andi opened the door of the barn and looked at the row of stalls ahead of her. Sighing, she picked up the shovel and pitchfork, set them in the wheelbarrow and opened the door to the first stall.  It was a beautiful Saturday yet Andi was stuck in the barn doing chores. 
This week can’t get much worse. Andi thought. Mother had insisted she start spending another hour each day working on her sewing. Plus, Justin’s wife, Lucy had been sick for the last couple days, and Melinda’s wedding to David was fast approaching. The only bright spot in the week had been the letter she had received from Cory.
Cory had been away at medical school and the letter said he would be returning home for summer break sometime within the next week. Andi was so excited! She couldn't wait to see Cory again. And, the letter had also said that he was bringing his friend, Micah, back with him to visit. 
Just then, one of the horses snorted and Andi was brought back to the  present. Looking at the stall in front of her she sighed. It's a pity the horses can't clean up after themselves!
She was finishing the last stall when the door to the barn swung open. Looking up, Andi saw Chad walking toward the tack room. Andi quickly finished the stall and quietly walked to the tack room. Chad was busy selecting a saddle and had his back to her. She tiptoed up behind him, snatched his hat off his head and ran laughing out of the barn. Just then someone came around the corner of the barn. Andi tried to stop but it was too late and they both fell onto the ground.
"What in the world are you doing running like that?"
Andi looked up, "Chad? But you can't be here! You were just in the tack room!"
"What are you talking about, Andi? I just came from the house. Have you gotten Jem a horse yet?"
Suddenly the awful reality hit Andi. "Oh no!" she groaned.
"What’s the matter? Are you hurt?"  asked Chad.
"No, this is the matter." She said, holding up the hat.
"Where did you get that?" Chad asked.
"I thought you were the one in the tack room. It must have been the Jem you were talking about. I grabbed his hat and locked him in the barn!" Andi explained
"You did what!' Exclaimed Chad, nearly running to the barn and throwing open the door. "Jem are you alright?"
Jem walked out and Andi gasped. Jem looked almost identical to Chad.
"Yeah, I'm fine."  he chuckled. "I think I must have been the target of a joke, although I'm not sure I understand why."
Chad looked grim. "Well, My sister, Andi,  thought that you were me. So, She decided to play a little prank." Turning to Andi he asked, "What got into you, Andi? You were supposed to be cleaning the stalls."
"I finished the stalls, and when I saw you, or, when I thought I saw you, I thought it would be funny. I'm real sorry, Mr. Jem I really didn't know it was you."
Looking up, she saw the twinkle in Jem's eye. He began to chuckle then he looked at Chad and they both began to laugh. Andi looked at them bewildered.
"You remember how Ellie was when you and your father came to visit all those years ago?" Jem asked Chad. "This is just something she would have done!"
Andi looked wonderingly at Chad. "You're not angry with me?"
"Well, all's well that ends well! Although, I have to say had I been the object of that joke, as I was supposed to be, I  would have been upset! Since you are finished with you chores, would you like to come with us? I’m showing Jem around the ranch.”
"Would I ever!"  Andi exclaimed. "I can saddle up Taffy,Sky and another horse for Jem in no time!
Chad chuckled. "You just go and saddle up Taffy. I can saddle Sky and I am sure that if you show, Jem, Patches stall, he can saddle him up. I think he is already well acquainted with the tack room!”


Chapter 2 An Interesting Story

 As they rode down the lane, Chad turned to Andi. "So, I suppose you are wondering who Jem is?" It was more a statement then a question.
Andi nodded.
"Well remember that picture you found in the attic of me when I was 12?"
Andi nodded again.
"Well, that was right about the time when Jem and I met. Father was a part owner in a mine and there had been a disturbance about the mine playing out, meaning there was no more gold. There had been talk about there being another strain of gold found but to get to it there needed to be another air shaft added.”
“But, why did father and you have to go down and help make the decision? Couldn't he just tell them what he wanted?” Andi asked.
Wait, I am getting there!" Chad exclaimed. “The problem was to build the new air shaft we would have had to tunnel up through a small mine that was being used by some of the Chinese citizen's of the town. Jem's father was the sheriff of Goldtown. There was some legal problem about them having a claim on the mine but I was to young to really care about the legal stuff. Now, had Justin been there he would have remembered every detail! Jem and I met...,. or should I say I startled him. He had been down at the creek panning for gold but he had stopped for the moment and was...“
Chad turned to Jem "What were you doing? I can't remember."
Jem grinned "I was getting my prospector friend, Strike, a cup his so-called coffee. I tell you that stuff was nasty! I don't understand how anyone could drink it!"
"So then what happened?" Andi asked impatiently. "Did you find any gold, Chad?"
"After Jem and I got acquainted, he took me down by the creek and showed me how to pan for gold. And, boy was I excited when I had what I thought was gold in my pan just a few minutes later."
"You thought it was gold? But it wasn't? What was it?" asked Andi.
Chad turned toward her, "If you don't quit your interrupting I'll never be able to finish the story!"
"It was fool's gold" Jem explained. "It looks like gold, but it isn't. When I saw the disappointed look on your brothers face I slipped one of the tiny gold nuggets I had found out of my small sack and close to where your brother was panning."  
Chad turned to Jem astonished. "That was your gold? I never knew that!"
Jem laughed. "You weren't supposed to!"
"What else did you do together?" Andi asked
"Let's see, " said Chad. "We got into plenty of trouble that's for sure! I thought I was old enough to show them how to brand some of their calves. I hadn't remembered how angry the mother cow gets when separated from her calf. I had Ellie doing the branding while Jem, Jem's cousin Nathan and I held down the calf. Ellie saw the mother cow charging and got so scared she dropped the branding iron square on Jem's arm. Then there was the time we got ourselves shut up in a cave in with Ellie, Nathan and Will, one of Jem's friends."
"What happened?" Andi asked, wide eyed. “
“I'll have to tell you some other time." Chad replied. "because here we are at the creek now."

9 comments:

  1. Great job Jesseca! I love it when characters from different stories pop up!!!
    About the white behind the words:
    have you checked if the story was highlighted? I accidentally highlight stuff all the time, thinking that I'm changing the color of the font! Then I highlight it in white, trying to fix it, forgetting that my blog color Isn't white!
    ~ JT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was copied and pasted from a Word document, which was not highlighted, nor is my "introduction--words in blue and italics" highlighted. And yes, the white highlighted box is "checked" but I can't seem to make it "uncheck." Sometimes Blogger confuses me. I have copied and pasted EVERY fan story and this has never happened before. *grrr*

      Delete
    2. Yes Blogger does mess with the formatting sometimes...
      Good story Jesseca

      Delete
    3. Okay, I hope you figure it out! :-)
      ~ JT

      Delete
  2. Great Story Jesseca!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it so for, its looking good so far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT STORY!!! Can't wait for the rest... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait for tomorrow to come! Then I can read more!
    Awesome story Jesseca!
    ~Skylar

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!