Sunday, February 23, 2014

Publishing question

Lulu asked a great question today, regarding the Tales from the Circle C Ranch short story collection: If you can publish the book yourself why do you send it in to the publisher?
-Lulu 


 The reason I have to send the proposed book to my publisher, Kregel Publications, is because my contract states that they have "first rights of refusal." This means that any book I propose to them, they get to decide if they want to publish it. If they do, then I have to let them (and wait and wait). Like for the new Circle C Milestones. I proposed that and then asked my editor if I could do it myself if they decided not to do it. He said yes, of course I could do what I wanted in that case. But they must have wanted the new series, as they didn't take very long to tell me YES. I do not know if they want to mess with short-story collections, however. They might think having the Circle C Milestones is "enough" for now. Then I can just publish it myself. But I would have to ask permission to use the cover design, as they own the cover design (looks just like the CCA books, doesn't it?) *smile* The pictures are MINE. Jessica gave permission for the picture of her when she was 7 years old, and the picture of Chad is a family picture of my grandfather. 

I hope that answers your question, Lulu! Thanks for asking!
And . . . I hope to send out the Ezine next Monday (March 3) that announces the contest winners! I'm very excited to share this news. And yes, I will post it here on the blog too!

20 comments:

  1. Will you announce the winners tomorrow or March 3rd (Monday)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monday like tomorrow????
    I don't get the Ezine, will you post who wins on the blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's what i was wondering!

      Delete
    2. Me too! :D

      -Calamity Rene

      Delete
    3. You an easily sign up for the Ezine on the right sidebar if you want . . .

      Delete
  3. When are you going to show the cover for Thick as Thieves?
    ~Leah =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not until I have permission from my publisher. :-(

      Delete
    2. Ohhh... ;(
      Do you have anymore fan stories to post???
      ~Leah =D

      Delete
    3. I do, but the truth is that some of them take more work to post (editing and formatting) than I have time to do right now. The fan stories that come to me "ready to go" get first up on the blog. Sad truth, but that's the way it is in February, between my dad's hip thing and then all this week homeschooling and caring for my DD's 8 kids (but Grandpa is helping too!). :-)

      Delete
    4. Wow!!! You're filled up!!!
      ~Leah =D

      Delete
  4. that makes sense! thank you!
    - Lulu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. M You mentioned earlier that you were going to send emails to the winners winners:-) are you still going to do that?
    Thanks;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this week some time when I can "take a breath." LOL
      I have the emails ready.

      Delete
  6. Will you email the winners before next Monday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! This week for sure. Probably in the next day or two, when I have a spare moment. :-)

      Delete
  7. Mrs. M when is Andi's moms birthday?

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!