Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Aunt Rebecca's Rules for Gentlemen

It was old and wrinkled, but Justin handed me a list of rules Aunt Rebecca compiled for him, Chad, and Mitch years ago. It's nice to know I'm not the only one she picks on.



Always . . .
·      -Wear gloves on the street, in church, or in other formal occasions, except when eating or drinking.
     -Wear gray or darker colors for day and white or cream-colored for evening.
·      -Remove your hat when entering a building.
·     - Lift your hat fully to a lady in public; a greeting between gentlemen may be an inclination of the head, a gesture of the hand, or a mere touching of the hat.
·      -Stand up when a lady, elderly person, or dignitary enters a room, comes within your presence, or stands.
·      -Offer a lady your seat if no others are available, and assist with her chair when she sits down or stands, especially when at a table or when chairs are small or light.
"I have to carry even your little packages?"
·      -Offer your arm to a lady with whom you are acquainted when entering or exiting a building or a room, and whenever walking on uneven ground.
·      -Open doors for a lady and offer to help her with hat, cloak, shawl, packages, refreshments, etc.
-Turn and walk with a lady if she wishes to speak in public, and leave with a bow and lift of the hat when all has been said.

Never . . .
·      -Use tobacco in any form when ladies are present.
·      -Curse or discuss impolite subjects when ladies are present.
·      -Call someone by their first name in public.
·      -Acknowledge a lady in public unless she acknowledges you first.
·      -Remove your gloves when making a formal call.
·      -Use too much perfume . . . or smoke before entering a lady's presence. 

     These rules made a lot more sense to me than some of the ones for ladies. The boys have it easier. Their rules sound like good, common courtesy!


 

17 comments:

  1. They make sense to me too, even now, though I have yet to see a gentleman lift his hat to me. :) Or wear gloves unless it's cold outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Chad and Mitch would like to wear gloves all the time;D
    Mrs. M why didn't you have any of Andi's brothers get married in the Circle C books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never fear! That is about to change! *smile*

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I can't really see them wearing gloves all the time lol! Maybe work gloves, but not for nice!
      ~Leah =D

      Delete
  3. I can imagine Justin following all the rules. Mitch and Chad are a little harder.
    But I'm sure they would... Elizabeth would see that they did :)
    -Lulu

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like these rules too. (time for a manner's meeting with my brothers... :P) I think some of these could be used during the 21st century as well... Here's a few:

    -Remove your hat when entering a building (my brothers still follow this at church.)
    -Offer a lady your seat if no others are available, and assist with her chair when she sits down or stands, especially when at a table or when chairs are small or light.
    -Open doors for a lady and offer to help her with hat, cloak, shawl, packages, refreshments, etc.

    Just a few, but most of the "Never" rules should be followed AT ALL TIMES!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Numbers 3,4,5, don't NEED to be followed. IMO
      ~Leah =D

      Delete
  5. This is very interesting!
    It would be nice to see more people these days use some of these. It would add the nice, old fashion, common courtesy back!
    I don't think that 1, 2, 7, and 9 really need to be followed anymore though!
    ~ JT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like most of the rules and I also think that a few of them are still used today, unlike most of the rules for girls!
    P.S. I haven't been on the blog for a long time cuz we switched WI-FI…but its good to be back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really wish my brothers would follow a couple of these....
    I have like 6 of them.. :)
    -lulu

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whats with the glove pattern? I dont get that, but I get the rest of them for the guys any ways. What was the point in the gloves?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some of these are still good now! The girls rules are defiantly harder to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. by the way.. did Lin Mei and Andi ever meet again?
    lulu

    ReplyDelete
  11. they should ssoo meet again ( Lin Mei and Andi )!!
    ~Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you e-mailed the winners yet? :)

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!