Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Aunt Rebecca's Basic Rules for Ladies

Lucky me (not)! Aunt Rebecca has gone to a lot of trouble to copy down a few rules for ladies, in case my mother has been remiss in educating me in "proper" behavior.
Have I any hope of following the rules here, or will I constantly be in trouble when Aunt Rebecca comes to call? (And which rules do you think apply to the 21st century?)


My dear niece,
I take pen in hand to leave a list of rules you will find most beneficial to refining some of your impetuous ways. I'm sure your mother would agreed. So, without further ado, please remember to always . . .
·      Wear gloves on the street, in church, or in other formal occasions, except when eating or drinking.
·      Graciously accept gentlemanly offers of assistance.
·      Stand up when an elderly person or dignitary enters a room, comes within your presence, or stands.

·      Remember that silence is golden.
·      Speak gently and graciously (no matter your true feelings); assume the best in any situation; practice the art of conversation.
·      Stand and sit properly; good posture is essential
·      Be in good taste.
·      Make others feel welcome in your presence; be gentle and patient.


There are certain things you must never do. Some that come to mind include:
·      Do not speak in a loud, coarse voice (never shout or yell).
·      Do not call someone by their first name in public.
·      Do not lift your skirts higher than absolutely necessary to go up stairs.
·      Never st with your legs crossed except at the ankles if necessary for comfort.
·      Do not lift your skirts up onto a seat, stool, or chair. Instead, wait for assistance when sitting down at a table on or a chair, especially if it is small or light.
·      Do not participate in any games which would result in you being kissed or handled in any way. 
     If a hand approaches a bit of jewelry, step back and unpin it for inspection.

·      Never speak or act in anger; do not boast or brag.
·     Do not remove your gloves when making a formal visit.
·      Do not be nosy or overly inquisitive; do not meddle or tell tales.
·      Never stare around the room when visiting, or walk about examining the furnishings unless invited to do so.


Andrea, remember that a true lady will go quietly and unobtrusively about her business when on the street, never seeking to attract the attention of the opposite sex, at the same time recognizing acquaintances with a courteous bow, and friends with pleasant words of greeting. 

After reading this list, I wondered why Auntie never writes any rules for the boys. Well, I found one that she wrote a long time ago! Tomorrow you'll see "Rules for Gentlemen."


 

19 comments:

  1. Wow, that's cool. but I think I'd die visiting Auntie's house... ;-)
    Thanks Andi! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think i would like visiting Aunt Rebecca's house... but the ranch would be more fun :)
    -lulu

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it sounds too bad. I think it might be kind of fun to visit Aunt Rebecca. But only for a short time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It might be fun to visit Aunt Rebecca for a little while ;-)


    Here are some that might apply to the 21st century:
    Never speak or act in anger; do not boast or brag.
    Do not be nosy or overly inquisitive; do not meddle or tell tales.
    Do not participate in any games which would result in you being kissed or handled in any way.
    Do not speak in a loud, coarse voice (never shout or yell).
    Graciously accept gentlemanly offers of assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Rules! I totally agree with Jesseca...some of them apply to ladies today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, most of them do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! Most of those apply today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Ahh! Sorry to post a comment in a reply area, but it won't let me post any comments below!
      I think that all of these ( besides the glove and first name ones) apply to today, but some more then others.

      Delete
  9. Could you explain this one to me? If a hand approaches a bit of jewelry, step back and unpin it for inspection.
    I don't get it....
    -Lulu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think about where you might have a piece of jewelry pinned. This was to prevent others (probably especially men) from taking liberties with a lady and touching her under cover of examining her broach or pin.

      Tell me if I'm wrong, Mrs. M.

      Delete
    2. Now that make sense. Thanks Rebekah!
      - lulu :)

      Delete
    3. I was just going to leave pretty much the same reply. Thanks, Rebekah!

      Delete
  10. Just popping in to let you know that we are enjoying reaidng your Circle C books aloud now. Our children enjoyed them in their seperate reading, but having Mommy read it with a Southern accent makes it fun to listen to. *smile* We have told other parents with avid readers in their homes about these great books you write, thank you for having the study guides and AMAZING coloring pages with them. We have had coloring days with your pictures in our family and hung the pictures on our wall. *smile* Thank you. Sincerely, Mommy of two growing blessings & so much more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mommy of Blessings! You make me smile!

      Delete
  11. Wow, I'd be dead if I lived in Aunt Rebecca’s house.... Now that I think about it, I would rather stick to my mom's rules... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd be dead too :) i might visit for 5 minutes but no longer :P i also noticed something, it almost looks like Andi has sunglasses on the back of her neck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what they are. Maybe? I should ask Jessica and see if she remembers. LOL

      Delete
    2. If you click on the picture, it zooms in, and it looks like it's not sunglasses, just hair and a collar or something ;)
      ~Leah =D

      Delete

Let Andi know what you think!