Thursday, October 3, 2013

Adios, My Brother, My Friend Part 3 . . . by Jesseca

Here comes the conclusion from Jesseca . . .



Conclusion

“Andi! What are you doing here?” Mitch exclaimed. Miss Martin's face was flushed and she was looking down at her hands.
“Well . . . I-I wanted to t-talk to you, Mitch,” I stuttered. 
“Well, you're going to talk to me alright. You sit in the back seat while I take Miss Martin home. Then you and I will have a nice,  long talk.”
The tone of his voice was enough to make me dread the coming talk; the glare he gave me was even worse. “I'm sorry, Mitch. I'm sorry Miss Martin,” I managed to say. Then I sat down and gazed at the passing fields as though my life depended on it.
Mitch turned to Miss Martin. “I'm truly sorry about this. I had no idea Andrea was with us. We'll continue this talk later. How about tomorrow?”
Miss Martin smiled at Mitch. “That's alright. I know it isn't your fault. And, yes, tomorrow sounds fine.”
After Mitch dropped Miss Martin off at her house, he drove back to the ranch in silence. When we got to the barn he quickly unhitched the horses, put them out in the paddock, then turned to me. “Follow me, Andrea,” he said.
I swallowed hard Mitch rarely used my full name.  When he did, I knew I was in big trouble.
He walked to the creek then motioned for me to sit down. “What in the world were you doing? You know better than to spy on me.” He looked at me straight in the eyes.  “What punishment do you think you deserve?” he asked.
Before I could say that maybe Mother should think up the punishment, Mitch went on. ”You will stay in your room at all times other than school this next week. And you will stay there for one hour doing nothing. No, homework, no sewing, no, writing, no, reading. That should give you time to think about the seriousness of what you have done.”  
I burst into tears.
“Andrea, you know better than to cry over a punishment.” Mitch's voice was hard.
“I-I'm not. I don't care about the punishment . . . much.” The “no sewing” part sure didn’t bother me, anyway. And Mitch’s idea of a punishment for my rude behavior was much better than what Mother would have thought up.
            “Then what is it?”
“Oh, Mitch,” I sobbed. “I don't want you to get married. I want things to stay as they always have. I can't imagine living at the ranch without you here. Everything's changing, and I hate it!” 
Just then, Mitch reached over and put a gentle arm around my shoulders. “Andi, why didn't you just talk to me about this? I love you and I don't want to hurt you. Remember the time you, Cory, and Jenny went with me on that trip into the mountains?”
I nodded.
“Well, remember how you and I talked about growing up? And you were saying how much you didn't want to grow up?” 
I nodded again.
“Well, like it or not, everyone grows up. You are becoming a young lady, not a child anymore. Everyone's life goes on. You can't stop it just because you don't like. You need to accept change because, like it or not, it's here to stay. I am planning on asking Abigail—Miss Martin—to marry me. Now, it will be at least another year before the wedding. And when we do marry, we will be coming to live here. I will continue to help Chad with the ranch just like before. The only difference will be that you will have a new sister-in-law living here also.” Mitch chuckled “I think you will like her better as a sister than as a teacher.”
 I smiled. “I'm really sorry, Mitch. I will tell Miss Martin I’m sorry at church tomorrow. It will take some getting used to—the thought of you being engaged—but I will try my hardest.”
Mitch grinned. “That's my girl. Now, what do you say we go back to the house and you get changed? You are filthy! But at least you had enough sense to wear a dress when you interrupted my courting . . . and not overalls!”
I looked down at my wrinkled, muddy dress and grinned. “Sure. Mitch.”
The next day was Sunday. After church I walked up to Miss Martin. “I'm really sorry for what I did and said yesterday. Mitch and I had a talk, and I hope you will say 'yes' when he asks to marry you.” Then I shyly added “I'd like calling you Abigail instead of Miss Martin.”
Miss Martin blushed. “I forgive you, Andi, and I am planning on saying 'yes' 
when your brother asks me. As for calling me Abigail, how about we wait until we are actually married to call me that? Could you imagine what all my pupils at school would say if you suddenly started calling me that?” 
We both laughed.
Miss Martin did say “yes” when Mitch asked her to marry him, and the wedding is set for a year from now. I am fine with it now. I mean, a year is a long ways off. But when that time does come, I'll be more than ready to call Miss Martin “Abigail.”
You know, this makes me start thinking about my wedding day. I wonder who I'll marry? But, plenty of time to think about that. It's a long, long way off!

 

39 comments:

  1. I loved it I thank it's one of my favorites but i do like the other ones:-)
    Evelina

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very well done, Jesseca! I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!!!!! ;)
    Aurora.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good job Jesseca! it was great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Jesseca, I loved it!
    ~Cowgirl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You write just about as good as Mrs. Marlow! Like I forgot for a moment this was a fan story not a book or an "Andi" post! Awesome job, Jesseca. You did super good:D I also like how Mitch said he wasn't leaving, but bringing his "wife" home with him. The family just get's bigger! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I I didn't know, I wouldn't be able to tell!!!
      It was really great Jesseca :)

      Delete
    2. "If I didn't know"
      Oopps :)

      Delete
  7. Mrs. Marlow? How come you post the stories so early in the morning? lol just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She posts so early in the morning because she is on a writing retreat with a friend, and probably can't post any other time.

      Delete
    2. Nate is right. I "scheduled" them to post automatically while I was off the grid. Sun Lakes has no wi-fi except at the office, and it was too cold to walk down there very often. :-)

      I have to tell you, Nathan, that Sun Lakes looked so cold and deserted without all of us there! The pool looked chilly. And guess what, of course, was blowing like mad this morning? Yep! That ol' wind that tore apart your family's tent in July. But I had a good time. Are you finishing your writing plunges this week? Please send!

      Delete
    3. Oh I see. Thanks...

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone! I'm am really glad you enjoyed/liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi jesseca, this was a really good story!!!
    Faith: I think Mrs. Marlow scheduled all her posts! before she went on her writing retreat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Didn't know you could schedule posts.
      Then, yes, she probably did schedule her posts. Who would get up at three-o-clock in the morning just to post something? :) Oh, and if nobody told me who wrote this story, I'd probably assume the author was Mrs. Marlow. Great job, Jesseca!

      Delete
    2. My writing friend gets emails when I post (you can sign up for that on the sidebar) and she said her phone dinged at 4 in the morning. Oops! :-) We were at the same writing retreat. I am working hard on the first book of the Circle C Journeys. And yes, if I need ideas for names, etc. I will certainly ask you all!

      Delete
    3. Okay... hehe I thought it was a little odd for you to be up at 3 in the morning posting stories. I get it now.

      Delete
  11. I love it Jesseca. Have you ever heard of Andrew Pudewa writing class?
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't heard of it. What is it?

      Delete
  12. Awesome story! Mitch called Andi Andrea!!! That's crazy!!!!!! I can't believe Mitch disciplined her; it just seems strange! It really did seem like Mrs. M was writing it! I have heard of the Andrew Pudewa writing program! I will be doing it this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the writing program I teach. It's quite delightful and I enjoy his approach to writing.

      Delete
    2. I'm in it right now!!!

      Delete
    3. i can't say i'm doing it right now but i have done it before and we will start doing it again soon.

      Delete
  13. Thank you everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mrs. M, how old is Sheriff Tate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's forty-ish, an older, experienced man, not too young; not too old. :-)

      Delete
  15. nice story.
    does Andi's mom know about Mitch getting married?

    rebekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well . . . I would assume so. How about it Jesseca? It's your story. Is this a family affair, as we would all hope? :-)

      Delete
    2. I guess it's something you just read between the lines. :)
      I mean if Mitch is going somewhere every weekend everyone would know. So, yes, Andi and Mitch's mom know about the wedding!

      Delete
    3. She also knew about the courting and approved :-)

      Delete
  16. I loved it!!!!!
    Great job Jesseca!
    ~Cowgirl

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mrs. Marlow,
    Do you think you cold post a picture of a settee sometime? (I'm not sure if a spelled that correctly :-).)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, my computer would not let me post lately, so i had to use a new computer!! and it worked!!!
    Great job Jesseca, you are a really good writer!! :D
    Is anyone writing about Andi geting married or haveing acrush on some one??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I never thought of that! I might try it. I would be an interesting subject to write about! :-)

      Delete
    2. Ya i DON'T like to write but i though it might be fun lol

      Delete

Let Andi know what you think!