Monday, September 23, 2013

There's Always a Motive Part 4 . . . by Calamity Rene

Part 4 of Calamity Rene's story . . .


Donovan Reagan using you to get money STOP 

Involved in real estate fraud STOP

 
With each word I read my eyes grew wider and wider. This was the very proof I was looking for!

“Whatcha got there, Andi?” I jumped up and whirled to face Donovan, who was peering over my shoulder at the telegram. He took one look at my face and I could tell he knew.

“So, the secret’s out,” he said slowly, his green eyes meeting mine.

“How dare you use Melinda to get this!” I snapped. “You’re trying to keep Justin from discovering you were the one trying to take money from that other fellow!”

Donovan shrugged. “I knew your brother had telegraphed some contacts of his in the South about me, and I knew they’d tell him the truth,” he said nonchalantly. “Melinda seemed an easy way out of it. I get close to her, and when the telegram came in I’d destroy it before Justin got it.”

“My sister has already been used once before by a man. I can’t believe you’re low enough to do it to her again!” I clenched my fists and glared at Donovan. Every word that hurled out of my mouth only half of what I wanted to say to him.

“You’re right. That was not gentlemanly of me at all,” Donovan agreed.

I stared at him. “What?” I managed, not believing he’d just agreed with me.

“I will stop this courtship right now so I don’t have to further involve her in any more pain,” Donovan announced. He then put his hand out. “On one condition. You give me that telegram.”

I bit my lower lip, not sure what to do. “I don’t think so. This is Justin’s.”

Donovan stepped toward me. I took a step back as I looked into his now-cold eyes. “Give me the telegram, Andrea.”

This would be a good time to run. I decided. Without giving Donovan a chance to realize what I was doing, I turned around and fled to the barn. Donovan shouted at me to stop, but I kept on running. Rounding the corner of the barn I nearly ran into Chad, who was saddling his horse.

“Hold your horses, Andi. Where are you going in such a hurry?” Chad demanded.

“Chad!” I cried. “Help me!”

I shoved the telegram into his hand and then hid behind him as Donovan came tearing around the corner. He came to an abrupt halt, realizing he was too late at the sight of the telegram in Chad’s hands.

Chad looked from me to Donovan, then his gaze rested on the telegram. “Ah, so that’s why you were courting Melinda,” he growled after reading the telegram. He looked up at Donovan, and I could see a storm was forming behind those ice-blue eyes of his.

“Well done, Andrea.” Donovan muttered, giving me a look that could almost be counted as a death glare. “You might find you regret this.”

“Is that a threat?” Chad roared, ready to punch Donovan in the face. “Let me tell you something, Donovan. No one threatens my sisters.”

“Chad, what’s going on here?” I turned around to see Justin sitting on his horse with Mitch at his side. They must have rode in at a walk. I didn’t even hear them!

Chad silently handed Justin the letter, and Justin read it over. With a sigh, my lawyer brother shook his head and looked at Donovan. “I thought as much,” he said.

***

It was mother who broke the news to Melinda that her courtship with Mr. Donovan Reagan was over. Once Melinda knew the reason why, she burst into tears.

I felt sorry for her as I stood at the edge of the bed and watched Mother comfort her, but I was glad that I had discovered it before Melinda had grown too attached to him.

“Why does this keep happening to me, Mother? Why?” Melinda cried.

I knew I shouldn’t have said it, but the words were out of my mouth before I could stop them. “Maybe you should stop accepting suitors?” I asked hopefully.

I think every neighboring rancher heard my shrieks as Melinda chased me through the house with a pillow.

Yeah, not the best suggestion ever.

 
The End

19 comments:

  1. Great story Calamity Rene!
    I loved it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good thing her brothers were around. :) I think the Carter boys need to check out the next man who is interested in Melinda a little more carefully before they let him even pay his respects! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a fantastic story. Very enjoyable! Loved the ending :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the story Calamity Rene! That ending was great! I jsut love Andi's brothers! They're so protective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved it Calamity Rene!!!! :D

    "I think every neighboring rancher heard my shrieks as Melinda chased me through the house with a pillow.

    Yeah, not the best suggestion ever."
    My most favorite part! ;)

    great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same here! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!

      Delete
  6. That was an awesome ending Calamity Rene! Your a really good writer. I liked how Justin and Mitch showed up at the end. Very good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved it! you should write more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Story!!
    Mrs.m Did School end in June or??

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. School was usually held by "terms," either 2 or 3-month terms, depending on if the community could hire a teacher. In my stories, since Fresno is a pretty well-established town by the 1880s, the school term (I suppose we would call them "quarters" nowadays), starts in September (fall term), then there is a winter term and a spring term, ending in June (for my stories). Some smaller towns shared teachers, so kids had to go to school for a summer term to take turns with another town. Not so here. :-)

      Delete
  9. i really love the ending of this story!!! Good job!

    Mrs. marlow, wasn't the drawing for the books ending today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. But since the contest says it "ends Monday," I need to wait until the end of the day. :-)

      Delete
    2. When will you announce the winner?

      Delete
  10. I'm glad I can always count on my brothers too! Good for Andrea!!! Good for Chad!!! Good for Justin!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great story! I loved the ending! And the part with her brothers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked it:-)
    Evelina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone! Sorry it took me so long to reply to these, I got sick and our computer died. (Not sure why this all happened at the same time... ;D)
    Thank you so much everyone, I'm glad you liked it! :D

    -Calamity Rene

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!