Friday, September 20, 2013

There's Always a Motive Part 1 . . . by Calamity Rene

You are all dead set on finding Melinda the perfect suitor. Here is Calamity Rene's 4-part rendition! Forgive me, but I haven't had time to find pictures for Calamity's story!


Part One

“Gotta warn you, Andi. Seems Melinda’s got a new suitor,” Chad commented as he helped me into the wagon. Chad was picking me up from school, and the warm May sun had me hopping to get home so I could ride Taffy.

But at Chad’s news I stopped right where I was and stared at him. “A new suitor? Already?” I exclaimed. “I would have figured she’d had her limit with suitors, especially after that awful Jeffrey Sullivan!”

It was still fresh in my mind when Jeffrey struck me with his fist, and I shuddered at the awful memory. Then I remembered when Mitch held him under water in the horse trough, and a small grin crossed my face. Perhaps that bruise he’d given me was worth it a little, after the revenge we’d gotten on him!

            “Would you hurry up and get in the wagon?” Chad grumbled, rolling his eyes. “We’re burnin’ daylight.”

            I complied and climbed the rest of the way onto the wagon. Turning in my seat, I waved goodbye to my friend Rachel, who stood in front of the schoolhouse waiting for her father to pick her up. “Bye, Rachel! See you at church!”

            “See you then!” Rachel called back, waving.

            Chad flicked the reins and nudged the horses into a brisk trot, turning them down the main street in Fresno and towards the direction of our ranch. I settled back in my seat and mulled over the piece of information Chad had just given me.

            “Who’s Melinda’s new suitor?” I asked. I couldn’t imagine what young man would dare court Melinda after the whole town went abuzz about the “Carter Brother Justice System.”

            “Actually. he’s a friend of Justin’s.” Chad informed me, turning the horses onto the road out of town and past the vineyards. “You know him. His name is Donovan Reagan, that Southerner that moved in last year near the Kellys’ place.”

            Did I remember him? How could a twelve-year-old girl forget a man like Donovan Reagan? Reagan was tall, with dark brown hair and green eyes. Everything about him was gentlemanly and kind, and he spoke to me like I was grown up. There was nothing about Reagan I didn’t like. He was one of the few young, eligible gentlemen in the area that I agreed with Melinda about. He was downright handsome and had all the fine qualities Melinda was looking for in a man.

            “Well, of all of the past suitors of Melinda’s, I kind of like the idea of Donovan courting her!” I announced, glancing at my older brother.

            Chad didn’t respond, only grunted. But I thought I saw a bit of uncertainty in his blue eyes. What has he got to worry about? I thought. Donovan is nothing like that good-for-nothing Jeffrey Sullivan.

Or was he?


20 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what happens!Great beginning Calamity Rene!
    When will you post part 2 Mrs. Marlow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite an interesting start, Calamity Rene! :) I'm looking forward to reading the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait till part 2
    Great Job Calamity Rene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, while everyone is writing stories about suitors for Melinda, why doesn't someone write a story about one of her brothers finding a pretty girl or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job Calamity Rene! I like the name you picked for him!
      Hmmm, that's a good idea Roseanna!

      The Game's a Foot!
      (in other words, I think I'll try...) ;) :D

      Delete
    2. I think I'll try also! Which brother are you doing Meg? I think I'll try Mitch!

      Delete
    3. He he! great minds think alike! ;) Mitch was my first thought, but I think I'll give Chad a try... I think he would be fun. :D

      Delete
    4. Can't wait to see what you write! Do whichever brother you want! I'm sure it would be alright if we did the same brother as there have been a lot of different versions of Melinda's suitor :-)

      Delete
    5. Yes, indeed, my happy writers! Go for it. I will certainly NOT give away any "spoilers" about who is married and who is not and who is going to get married in the next series.

      I'll just say that hints are in book 1, and then there is a nice jump of a year and a half between books 1 and 2. And another jump between between the last two books.

      Gee, I should probably post on what happened about my contract, which came today. But I need to put up Part 2 of Calamity's story too.

      So many posts! So little room! LOL

      Delete
  5. Nice cliff hanger, cant wait for part two! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! :D It took me a while but I FINALLY sat down and wrote this. :) It's been on my mind for a month... ;)
    Thanks again!

    -Calamity Rene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I love the name! Something about Donovan is suspicious. Love it! Ohh, Mrs. M, I was re-reading The Sanfransisco Smugglers, and I think I might have gotten a hint who Melinda's new suitor might be in the new books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh-oh . . . I better go back and read that one, because I'm trying to remember what I said about Melinda in that book . . . It has been awhile. Before the books were published, I used to sit down and re-read them all the time (on the screen). But wow, once they became actual books, I didn't read them so much anymore.

      Very dangerous for me, the author! You gals are keeping me on my toes!

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure if it means anything. It was pages 14-17.

      Delete
    3. Oh! Reed! I forgot all about him. He's a nice fellow. Good idea, but he wasn't who I had in mind. But it would make a fun story. :-)

      Delete
    4. Has this young man been featured yet in the circle c adventures?

      Delete
    5. He's only been mentioned in SFS, rescuing Andi from the flood waters. :-)

      Delete
  8. Calamity Rene, are you going to enter the Writing Contest? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. When is part two going to be posted! I want to know what happens!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, I can't wait for part two! I'm also looking forward to the stories about Andi's brothers' courting experiences...good idea girls!

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!