Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Did I Know about Kate from the Beginning?

Leah asked a good question: "When you were writing books 1 and 2, did you know that you were going to write about Kate in book 3?"

Actually, no I didn't know anything about "Kate" back in those days. I wrote Dangerous Decision first, and then I wrote Long Ride Home (but switched the order when submitting to my publisher). Later on, I heard a true story about a friend at church, whose older son (age 15) had left home after his sister was born, and they had never heard from him since . . . even 15 years later. That really intrigued me (in a sad way). Then, my new daughter-in-law shared with me how her older sister had come home to live with her 3 little kids. Okay . . . a story in the making here.

Justin and Kate
From what I knew about the 1800s, and that sometimes children left home very young (some Pony Express riders were only 14!), and how some families "cut off" their rebellious kids, I knew there was an historical precedent for a similar plot. And so . . . Katherine, Levi, Betsy, and Hannah were "born." Oh, and T.J. "Troy" too.

I hope that answers your question, Leah!

 photo 3825C7C7786297A6FF1441ABB6A7AE89_zps0a54deca.png

10 comments:

  1. Yes, it did! Thanks a lot :) That's very interesting
    ~Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love writing stories and discovering along the way things about their past that I had no idea of. It keeps the story interesting because you never know when something is going to come up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to be an author so it is good to know that you can have new ideas come up along the way. Thank you.
    P.S.
    What is the author trivia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just the category of "odds and ends" you guys ask about ME and not Andi. :-)

      Delete
  4. I have a question; why did you decide for Andi not to have a dad in the books??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's an easy one. So her older brothers could take a more active role in the stories.

      Delete
    2. Ah, that makes sense. :)

      Delete

Let Andi know what you think!