Saturday, August 31, 2013

How Did I Come Up with Andi?

Mrs. Marlow, I have an author trivia question. What inspired you to have Andi be the youngest in her family? Also did you have an older brother when you were little or was that a dream of yours? I know it was one of mine at a time:)  ~ Faith

Great question, Faith! Years and years ago, as a teen myself, I loved to watch old TV westerns. I often thought, This is a great show, but it would be a lot better if there was a kid in it. So, I started to imagine fun stories in my head about that very scenario, and the idea of "Andi" was born. 

I'm wearing the dorky glasses; Holly is not born yet
I am the oldest of four girls: Susan, Alana, Julie, and Holly. I always wanted older brothers! Actually, I wanted any brothers--younger or older! When I was a kid, I used to pretend (in my head) that my sisters were brothers. I even gave them boy names: Alan, Joel, and Hal. Yeah, I did a lot of imagining. I guess that's how I ended up being an author. I thought up so many make-believe scenarios that I needed to write them down so I could remember them and read them myself for fun. Only . . . I found out that others (like you!) like to read my imaginings too! Thanks for becoming partners in imagination. 

Can you guess which one is me?  1981



You will all get a chance to show your imagination this fall when the official story contest gets launched the first week of September.

 photo 3825C7C7786297A6FF1441ABB6A7AE89_zps0a54deca.png

17 comments:

  1. When are you going to put out the writing contest rules? :)
    I have my first chapter written, it is 1,012 words, and I want to make sure I'm doing it right... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I can go ahead and post the contest rules early if you want. You can read the word count then . . . Give me a day or two.
      ~ Mrs. M

      Delete
  2. I love the pictures! I have also always wished for an older brother :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hay Andi what day dose the contest start????
    Evelina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol! Love the pic! In the last pic I'm gessing that your all the way to the left?
    Aurora.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, since the one on the left in the last picture looks like you, I'll guess that one. :)
    I enjoyed reading about you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs. M, was Melinda going to school when Andi was 8?
    thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Melinda is five years older than Andi. She would be 13 when Andi is 8, and she would still be in school. :-)

      Delete
    2. thanks!! :)
      one more question, was Justin working in town then too?

      Delete
    3. yes. he is working in town even when andi is 6 in Andi's scary school days (circle c beginnings). :-)

      Delete
  7. What were your favorite TV Westerns Mrs. Marlow?
    (mine is The Virginian) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorites were The Big Valley and Bonanza. I also liked to watch Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, and I liked The Rifleman too. And Rawhide. I never watched The Virginian.

      Delete
    2. We have watched The Big Valley and Bonanza too!
      we also like Roy Rodgers. (he was/is my favorite cowboy!)
      I've never seen Rawhide, but my Mom has, she likes it. I think you'd like The Virginian. :)
      it's funny, he doesn't really have a name, everyone just calls him 'The Virginian'! (James Drury plays him)

      Delete
  8. Oh, you' ll have to watch the Virginian! I love that show!!! :D
    I also like Roy Rogers & The Rifleman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you the one on the very left? (on the last pic)

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!