Thursday, July 11, 2013

Riley Prescott, childhood friend

      I had so much fun playing with Riley Prescott when I was little. He came to live on the Circle C ranch with his Uncle Sid McCoy, our foreman. He was seven years old, and I had just turned five. I remember the first day he arrived. Father was still alive. He picked me up and plunked me down right in front of that strange little boy.
      "This is Riley," Father said. "He's come to live on the ranch and play with you until his mother is feeling better. He'll stay in the bunkhouse with Sid, and he'll eat with the hands in the cookhouse."
       Riley stared at me, and I stared right back. He looked kind of scared, like he'd never been on a ranch before, which I found out later he hadn't. 
Cook
      "Riley will also earn his keep by helping Cook," Sid put in. He ruffled his nephew's dark hair and grinned. 
      Sleeping in the bunkhouse with the cowboys and eating in the cook shack sounded like fun, but helping grouchy Cook did not sound fun at all. It sounded terrible. Our ranch cook in those days was a big Mexican fellow, with dark eyes that glared at you if you crossed him. Which I didn't . . . much. Riley had no idea what he was in for. 
      Father prodded me in the back, so I said, "Howdy." It came out like a squeak. I didn't really know what to do. Riley was the first kid my own size I'd ever met. Up until then, I always played with my big sister, Melinda, or tagged along behind my big brother Mitch and his friend Peter. I'd never had anybody close to my own age to play with before. 
      Riley smiled at me then and said "howdy" back. 
     "Do you like horses?" I asked, twirling one of my braids around my finger.
     "I love 'em!" he shouted.
Riley and Midnight
     Right then I knew we would be friends. 
     Riley had been allowed to bring his big, black gelding "Midnight" when he came to the ranch, and I found out that boy could ride like the wind. 
     "I rode the army horses back at the fort," he explained. "And some of those jug heads were meaner than all get-out."  
     From then on, Riley and I were best friends. We got in and out of more scrapes than you can shake a stick at. The only thing that annoyed me was the fact that he was big enough for his own horse, and I was stuck with that slow-poke pony, Coco. 
     Early the next spring, a few months before I turned six, Father was killed in a roundup accident. That was terrible, but it helped me understand how sad Riley was sometimes to not be with his mother and father. 
      Riley's father, Captain Robert Prescott, was stationed at the Presidio, the army fort in San Francisco. Riley, his father, and his mother had lived at the fort until his mother got sick. With his father away from the fort so much, they decided it would be better if Riley lived with relatives for a few months, and Uncle Sid took him in. 
     Riley lived on the Circle C ranch for a little over two years, until he was ten. The second Christmas after he'd come, his mother was well enough to surprise him by showing up on Christmas Eve. Sid picked her up and brought her out to the ranch. Since she was on the mend but not totally ready to care for Riley on her own at the fort, she stayed on the ranch until spring. Captain Weaver was transferred to Fort Hall in Idaho, and he picked up his family on the way to his new posting. 
     I cried when Riley left.
     *     *     *
    
Jump ahead eight years. I was totally unprepared when Riley returned to the Circle C ranch. I did not even recognize him. Chad hired him on to work with the young colts, Shasta included. I'll say no more about that, but let you read The Last Ride to find out what happens.  

 

39 comments:

  1. Great story!
    is it okay if I still make up my own story about him?
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet! I'd love to see what you come up with! :-)

      Delete
  2. Thank you Andi!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know where that last picture came from!
    It is from the movie 'War Horse'!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry!!
      You can delete that comment if you want!

      Delete
    2. No, I'm totally fine with it. I was giving you a "wink" and a "shhh" for fun. :-)

      Delete
    3. That's what I was thinking also!

      ~Rishona

      Mrs. Marlow: nice post!

      Delete
  4. What is Riley's Mother's name?

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Riley's picture when he's older, Andi. ;) Now, where have I seen that before? Hmm... ;) Couldn't help but tease you a bit. :D
    Thanks for the summary about Riley, it helps me to remember his story. :D

    -Calamity Rene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! And What is Virginia's older sisters name?

    ~Rishona

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs. Marlow,
    So, I clicked on Fan Stories, one of the little tabs on the side of the blog and it took me to photobucket? do you know why? could you check it out?

    Thanks,
    Rishona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured I'd have an eager beaver! LOL

      Since I have not yet posted any Fan Stories, I can't link to that category. There is "nothing" there yet. Until then, it goes over to where I hosted the photo link for now, until I change it. The first fan story will go up on Saturday, and I will try to get the new link to work after it goes live. I've been having trouble with that sidebar full of labels lately, so we will see . . .

      I was wondering who would give that "button to nowhere" a try. LOL

      Delete
    2. oops! I get it.

      ~Rishona

      Delete
  9. Thanks Andi!!! I wonder what kind of trouble you and Riley got in to when he is 15!!!! :-)
    Evelina

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I had more time and didn't have to keep trying to get something written for my own blog and readers, I might be tempted to write you a story. :) I'm sure there will be many interesting stories. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. cool!(though I don't even know who he is) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the picture of him on the friends page! :D
    JT

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked the old picture, it described him better. This one looks to old to be 18.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember having any other pictures of an older Riley. That's why I'm doing the voting thing.

      Delete
  14. I don't understand, in Circle C beginnings Sid McCoy was the cook for the ranch hands but in the following series he is the ranch forman

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't understand, in Circle C beginnings Sid McCoy was the cook for the ranch hands but in the following series he is a ranch forman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Ernestine, I answered this in another comment, but Sid has always been the CC foreman. He is Riley's uncle and in Fair Surprise it's pretty clear he's the foreman.

      Cook has always been the ranch cook for the cowhands.

      Delete
  16. I don't understand, in Circle C beginnings Sid McCoy was the cook for the ranch hands but in the following series he is a ranch forman.?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry! I didn't see my post so I thought something was wrong with it so of posted it of Chad's page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Okay. I have it on "moderate comments," so it may take a little while before your comment shows up. That way I avoid bad spam and things I'd prefer you readers don't have to put up with. :-)

      Delete
  18. Hey Mrs M! Would you ever put Riley up on "Andi's Family" page? After all, he IS family now. LOL. Just sayin...😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planned to, but I got a little waylaid with the other new pictures and family members. Besides, that would be quite a "spoiler" for anybody who hasn't read the last series, right? :-)

      Delete
    2. Yes, DEFINITELY a spoiler LOL. Love the new pics by the way 😄

      Delete
    3. Riley is waiting so patiently to become part of the family.. XD

      Delete
    4. He's still waiting... :D

      Delete
    5. Sorry! I keep forgetting . . . I do need to do that.

      Delete
  19. Where is a tab for 'Macy'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now she is on the website but not the blog. Go to the characters tab on www.circlecmilestones.com and scroll down.

      Delete

Let Andi know what you think!