Saturday, June 1, 2013

President Garfield Was Assassinated

Oh, dear, it's true! Our new president (who was only in office about six months or so) was assassinated this last summer. It was on July 2, 1881. Mitch, Cory, Jenny, and I had just returned from our ill-fated Trouble with Treasure adventure, and Jenny had left the week before. The awful news came over the wire (telegraph) and the Expositer newspaper printed a special edition. At the time, I was more worried about Mitch's leg than about the president, but now I know how terrible it was. I mean, really! John Wilkes Booth assassinated President Lincoln only about 15 years before. And now another president dies?

President Garfield only took office on March 4. After he was shot in July, he lived another two months, until September 19, 1881. But he couldn't run the country with his injuries, sadly. Can you imagine what the people were thinking? Wondering when or if he would die? It seems he had troubles before he was shot too. In May, his wife, Lucretia, caught malaria and something like spinal meningitis. *yikes!* She barely recovered, and they spent some time at the seashore.
The assassination of President James Garfield, July 2, 1881

Then . . . it happened. A crazy person (aren't all people who murder presidents crazy?) named Charles Guiteau shot the president twice as he was walking through the railroad station. Once in the back and once in the arm. Then the crazy fellow yelled that he did it and wanted to be arrested. He thought he would be found not guilty and then be elected president! Now, you tell me. Is that crazy or what? Come to find out, Mr. Guiteau had bought a .44 caliber pistol and had been stalking the president. He was angry that he had not been appointed to one of the positions in the president's new administration.

The railroad station where he was shot.
 Poor President Garfield didn't have a chance. They could not find one bullet (the one in his back), even though Mr. Bell (who invented the telephone) used a metal detector to look for it. The president died of infection, after sweating all summer with a high fever besides. That sounds awful! 

This is not a safe occupation. I asked Justin if he ever intends to run for political office, but he just laughed. "My life is at risk enough being a lawyer," he joked. But there is nothing funny about being a target for revengeful folks, let me tell you!

One time, Justin was the prosecuting attorney and was so good at it that the jury found the man guilty of his crime. The trouble was, four years later, it was discovered that he was innocent. Boy oh boy, did Justin feel terrible about that. The man had vowed to "pay him back" if he ever got out of prison. He got out, all right, and our whole family was in danger from this fellow. Justin tried to help him restart his life, but he was not willing to forgive the lawyer who put him--an innocent man--away.

It is a long and horrid story, and I never want to go through that again. But being in the public eye is not for the faint of heart. People make mistakes: presidents, senators, congressmen, lawyers, judges, and yes . . . even juries. They're the ones who found the man guilty, but he blamed it on Justin and took it out on us. Maybe some day I'll tell the whole story.

 

31 comments:

  1. When will you tell what the innocent man did to your family??? Thanks for the post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh . . . I am thinking of using that idea in an actual book, so it may be a while! :-)

      Delete
    2. Oh cool :) That's okay if it's a while then. I would love to have a whole book on it!!!

      Delete
    3. Me too!! That would be so cool!!! Grace

      Delete
  2. Great post! I love history! Thanks :) Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the post! I know you must be really busy, but I would LOVE some more pictures of life on a 1800s ranch and in Frenso. You know, things like the general store, the church etc. Thanks for a great blog!
    Becci :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pictures are usually easier to come up with for that. I"ll see what I can do. I do have some Fresno pictures, store, church, etc. I'll dig them up and see if I can't post them for you all. :-)
      That would be a nice little filler while I'm answering more questions in story form.

      Delete
    2. That would be awesome!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  4. Yikes! That doesn't sound fun at all. It would be like a nightmare (and I'd probably have one) if you knew someone wanted revenge on your family member. I would probably imagine every man/boy I saw as that person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be creepy!!!

      Delete
  5. Aww, poor President Garfield. I remember reading that in my US history.
    But this story of yours sounds interesting! I hope you write it into a book, that would be fun. :)
    Write more short stories soon, I really enjoy reading them!

    -E.A. Jones ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me to!!!! We're probably brainstorming you!! No offense to y'all!!

      Delete
  6. Thanks, Andi! I look forward to the pictures! That sounds like a great idea for a book :) Oh, and I really hope the older Andi series works out!
    Becci :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have them all ready to post. I will wait a couple of days and then post them . . . after I post the picture of "me" and another blogger, whom I met at the TPA convention in Kansas.

      Delete
    2. I really will look forward to it!!!

      Delete
    3. I can't wait!:D And i can't wait until a new short story comes out!

      Delete
  7. Who was it that you took pictures of for Rosa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her name is Joy, and her grandmother went to our old church. :-)

      Delete
    2. How about your nieces? And another question! Why do we have to prove that we are not a robot?

      Delete
    3. I can't figure out how to make it say something else. It's to keep SPAMMERs from posting inappropriate comments on my blog. Only humans can type those letters and numbers. :-)

      Delete
  8. Great Post Andi Carter! I really liked it!
    Faith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andi, I must say... It has been only one day since I got the books, I liked the first one so much I finished it in one afternoon! I have already started the second. I think your books are great!

    By the way...Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, thanks so much for sharing! Come back often for new posts and even a writing contest in the fall . . .

      Delete
  10. My friend told me about your books just 3 weeks ago and I have already read 5 of the Andi books and the first Goldtown one!
    They are all sososo good!(although I personally perfer the Andi series!)
    A writing contest???

    ReplyDelete
  11. My friend told me about your books 3 weeks ago and I didn't think I would like them at all but I read them anyway. I was so wrong! I have read 5 of the Andi books and the first Goldtown one. They are all sososo good!! (although I personally perfer the Andi ones;)
    A writing contest???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a writing contest this fall. Do you like to write stories? :-) Real prizes too!

      Delete
    2. Yes I LOVE to write stories!!

      Delete

Let Andi know what you think!