Monday, February 18, 2013

My brother is in the new Goldtown book!

COMING APRIL 2013
 It's just two months away . . . the release of Goldtown Adventures, book 2: Tunnel of Gold. I wanted to tell you (I hinted a long time ago), but my big brother Chad is in this book. Yeah, crazy, huh? Well, read on and you will find out how that happened! I was scrounging around in the attic one rainy Saturday afternoon not so long ago. I opened a trunk (it was very dusty on top) and after rummaging around a bunch of old corsets and a feather duster and a China doll with a crack in her face, I found an old photograph of Chad when he was my age. I also found something that excited me even more! It was lodged in a corner but I dug it out with my fingernail. and what do you suppose it was? A gold nugget! It was about the size of a small pea, but much bigger than anything I found when Mitch took us on that camping trip up to the lumber camp last summer (which, by the way, we never quite got there). I told about that disaster in Trouble with Treasure.

Chad's nugget
Anyway, I showed Chad the picture and asked him about it. When he saw his likeness, he started smiling, then he told me about the time Father took him up north to a gold camp. I guess our family was (is?) part owner in a mine up there. (The picture was taken the day before they left for Goldtown, which is up by Mariposa.)

I listened with both ears, on account of there is nothing I'd rather do than go dig up some gold . . . or peek inside an old mine. Well, after listening to Chad's story, I decided that maybe--just maybe--I don't want to go into a mine, after all. He did, and . . . oops. If I tell you everything he told me right now, then the story will be ruined. Besides, I still have shivers remembering what he told me that happened!

It's enough to say that Chad made a new friend, Jem, who taught him how to pan for gold. In exchange, Chad tried to teach Jem how to brand a calf. That didn't turn out so well. I laughed and laughed when he told me what happened, but I doubt it was very funny for the four of them at the time (Jem, his sister Ellie--who is my older sister, Kate's, age--and their cousin Nathan).

It's stories like these that make me wish Father hadn't died in that dumb roundup accident all those years ago. Maybe he would take me to gold towns too. I asked Chad if we still own that mine up there. He frowned, scratched his head and said, "You better ask Justin. He knows better than I do what our family owns and doesn't own. We might've sold it. Or maybe all the gold is gone now."

Maybe. If I find out if the Carters still own part of that mine . . . the Midas, I think it's called . . . I'll write about it. And maybe . . . Justin can take me up there to see what it's like now! And to see where Chad had his adventure. Anyway, if you want to read what happened, get yourself a copy of Tunnel of Gold when it comes out in April.

 

8 comments:

  1. Andi: I was wondering since andi speaks spanish in the books i was wondering if you personally in real life know spanish like could speak it if u have to?
    Thanks,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I speak enough to get by with. I taught English to the Hispanic community in our town years ago. Then I went to Costa Rica for 2 weeks and stayed with a pastor and his family (family didn't speak English). It was fun! I could speak one on one . . . it's just groups I couldn't understand. They talk way too fast! :-)
      ~Mrs. M

      Delete
  2. Has your brother seen Jem since?? or contacted him??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I knew somebody was going to ask that question! I'm hoping to write a short story some day about that every subject (like I wrote Midnight Surprise about Taffy having her foal). You will have to be patient, I'm afraid, but yes, Chad has seen Jem since. I just have to figure out where and when and what happened, and how Andi can be part of it. Fun, right? Hey, maybe that could be the subject of somebody's short story contest! I could give "hints" to subject matter, if somebody didn't want to totally make something up. You are really helping me brainstorm, Anne! Thanks! :-)

      Delete
  3. Sorry about all the questions:0
    This is my favorite website

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww . . . thanks! I like your questions! :-)

      Delete
  4. What do you do for entertainment??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly . . . ride Taffy! :-) And fish; and race; and in the evenings, Melinda likes to read aloud. (I also like to read Dime Novels. Shhhh . . . they're not supposed to be good reading for kids, but hey . . . I heard even President Lincoln read and enjoyed them.) Mitch gives them to me when he's finished, and Mother pretends to look the other way. She knows I like them very much!

      Delete

Let Andi know what you think!