Friday, October 26, 2012

Celebrating my birthday

I squeezed in a few minutes to try and answer some questions. First of all, Katie wanted a picture of me riding Taffy. There are a few of me scattered around this blog, but I did find another. You'll have to go to the Circle C Photos to see it. Katie also wants to know how I celebrate my birthday.

Here's the thing, Katie. It never seems to be celebrated the same way on any given year. My family is very tricky. They like to surprise me. My biggest and best surprise was when I turned six years old. That was the day Chad ripped me from my bed and hauled me out to the barn for my birthday surprise: Taffy. It was a good birthday because my father had been killed just two months before during roundup, and I didn't think I would ever be happy again. But the surprise of Taffy helped me feel a lot better.

When I turned twelve, they celebrated my birthday in another fun way. At the table at breakfast was an envelope. A plain, boring-looking envelope, with one word on it: ANDI. I opened it, and inside was a mystery clue as to where I could find a hidden treasure (present). Everybody tagged along while I went on my scavenger hunt. Each clue was a little gift, like a new brush for Taffy or--from Mitch--a new Dime Novel (yeah, the kind teachers don't like you to read because they think we kids shouldn't read made-up stories). From there, the clues went all over the house and barn. The last clue led to Taffy's saddlebag, where Justin had hidden a real gold locket. Then we went inside and had white cake (my favorite) and white frosting.

My most embarrassing birthday was the very next year, when I turned thirteen. My family had a party for me. That is always hard--since I'm not the party-type--but I figured I could have a good time if all my friends were there. Everybody came: Cory, Jack, Rachel, Maggie, Rosa, Virginia, and nearly everybody from my classroom (I didn't want to leave anybody out). Even that ol' Johnny Wilson got invited, and with my brothers there, Johnny stayed on his best behavior. The dressmaker had made me a new dress, and I looked like a young lady. Well, everything went well until it was time for the cake and punch. I was carrying my plate and a small punch glass with raspberry cordial across the room. Cory accidentally jiggled my elbow as I passed him, and . . .  you guessed it. My cordial splashed all down the front of my pink party dress then landed on the floor. I was so embarrassed that I dropped my cake. The glass plate shattered on the floor. You could have heard a pin drop. I wanted to flee to the barn, but I caught Justin's eye, and he shook his head.

Then Melinda started singing "Happy birthday to you" and everybody joined in. Nila and Luisa cleaned up the mess, and I forgot to be embarrassed. It turned out to be a good birthday, after all.

I have the best family in the whole Valley--no--in the whole state of California!

 

17 comments:

  1. Very interesting parties, Andi! I remember on my tenth bday I was at the beach during a hurricane *shiver. It took a long time to get out of there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! A hurricane! That is certainly a birthday to remember!

      Delete
  2. Hi Andi!
    I love how your family celebrated your birthdays!!! They sound sooo fun and awesome!
    Getting a filly for your sixth b-day is just so awesome. And the clue's, that sounded like such a fun day.
    I love reading your blog. Since I have read all your books, this blog makes the circle C adventure stay alive:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the blog, and am glad the CC Adventures can stay alive for you! One of these days, Andi needs to have a story-writing contest with prizes and stuff . . . so readers like you can write a new "Andi" adventure!

      Delete
    2. Oh, PLEASE do that sometime! I LOVE writing stories...maybe you could give a storyline and have us come up with other parts.

      Delete
    3. I have the contest "rules" all written and everything, with the prizes ($$), etc. But then I got waylaid with this new series, Goldtown. SO . . . once I have another book under my belt (I have deadlines for those), then I will have time to dig up the contest and make it happen. If you are not on my email list, I suggest you go over to the website and sign up. That way you will know for sure when I finally do the contest. :-)

      Delete
  3. Hey Andi! Do you have any behind the scenes pictures or videos (It is okay if you don't... I am just wondering)? I think that will be fun to write a new "Andi" book :) I also have an other question. Are you still 13? Does Andi always stay 13?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So . . . what do you mean "behind the scenes" pictures, etc.? I have a lot of old pictures that were never used for the covers, if that's what you mean, but no videos. Sorry!

      Well . . . I'm not sure how long I (Andi) will stay 13. I was 13 and a half in the last book, Price of Truth, so if anymore stories get written, I'll have to grow up, I guess! :-)

      Delete
    2. Sorry I wasn't clear! I meant pictures that were a possiblity to being on the book covers ( like The Long Ride Home, Dangerous Desicion, and ect.). LOL I guess so :) Will you write more books?

      Delete
    3. I'm finding some right now. I'll put them in a post.
      I think I would like to write more books . . . but it might be awhile before that happens.
      ~Andi

      Delete
  4. The writting contest sounds like fun. As I love to write!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Andi! Are you going to write an other short story? I also have an other question, are Taffy's foals young horses now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am eventually going to write another short story, yes! In fact, I would like to write a whole bunch of short stories and put them together in an Ebook, maybe, called "Tales from Circle C Ranch," or something like that. Trouble is, there are only 12 hours of "day" and more short stories are like . . . on the way-back burner. The story of Taffy having foals was taken from the first 2 chapters of a real Andi novel, which never got published. So it's in really rough shape. I s'pose it's possible to take those chapters and maybe write one of those "serial" stories, where readers get a chapter a month or something like that and then they have to wait for the next installment . . .

      As far as your other question . . . Well, Taffy's foals--Shasta and Sunny--grow to be young horses in that story. Can't remember how old they are in the end? A year maybe?

      OK, I hope I haven't gotten all your hopes up about more stories . . . at least not for a little while! I have to finish the book I'm working on right now! AUGH!

      Delete
  6. What a pretty dress!!!! I wish we still dressed liked that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too it would be so fun!!

      ~ Cheyenne

      Delete
  7. yea i know it would be pretty i wish i lived on a ranch

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!