Monday, August 27, 2012

My Father

Due to popular request, I will tell you a little bit about my father, James Carter. I found a couple of pictures. A traveling artist painted this one out on the range. I remember it very well, even though I was only five years old at the time. I thought for sure the cows would get too close and knock Father and the painter down. I told Father to "watch out for those cows," but he just laughed and ruffled my hair. Then he told me to stay out of the way. He had to stand still for for the portrait a long time. He let me hold his buckskin gelding, Dorado, while he was having his portrait painted (Chad's horse, Sky is also a buckskin). Father was about 50 in this picture. The reason I remember it so well is because it was just before the 1874 spring round-up, and that's when Father was killed. A very bad year for my family.

Father is learning to be a rancher here.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Father was born in 1822 in Boston, Massachusetts. His father (my grandfather) was a sea captain, and Father often accompanied him on his long voyages around the Horn to the West coast, where the trade in otter skins was sweeping the country.

The ship was in San Francisco in 1849, when the cry of "gold!" went out. With Grandfather's blessing, Father left the ship and went looking for gold along the American River. He had no trouble finding the precious metal, since he was one of the first to arrive. By the time the gold-seeking "hoards" arrived, the gold rush was in full swing and my father was a very rich young man.

San Francisco exploded into a big city, but my father wanted to live in the wide, open spaces (a good thing, too). He met my mother (you can read why she was in San Francisco HERE), and they were married. They moved to the San Joaquin Valley, near the foothills, and started their ranch. Justin was born a year later, when Father was 30.

Father has a twin brother, Benjamin, whom I don't remember meeting, although Melinda tells me he, Aunt Ellen, and my cousin Daniel did come West for Father's funeral when I was five. But they still live back East. In 1860 (way before I was born), Grandfather and Grandmother died, and my father's older sister, Rebecca, moved to San Francisco. She started interfering with her brother's family right away and has done it ever since! You can read about Aunt Rebecca HERE.

It didn't take Father and Mother long to make the Circle C ranch one of the finest spreads in the entire Valley. For my part, I'm awfully glad Father chose the ranching life (even though Aunt Rebecca thought he was loco not to want to live in the City). I miss Father dreadfully, but Justin is a lot like him, so he has really helped me when I start feeling sad about Father being gone. 

 

11 comments:

  1. Great post, Andi! :) I had been wondering about your father while reading. I'm glad he wanted to live in the "wide open spaces" too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andi,
    I wanted to tell you that i read the Dangerous Decision book! It is sooooo good!
    Did these stories really happen are they true?
    Your such a good writer!
    Bethann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bethann,
      Thanks for your comments about Dangerous Decision. I'm glad you liked it! About the stories being true . . . well . . . they are "might have been" stories, which means they might have happened, but they are not based on any real characters in 1880. But lots of interesting things happened back then, so who really know? *grin*

      Delete
  3. Hi Andi,
    Isn't there a friend named Riley in the andi books when she is younger?
    Why isn't Riley on the friend part of you blog?
    Bethann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well . . . here's the deal. I WISH I'd thought of Riley when I was writing the older books. I wrote those first, and Cory is Andi's friend. When I wrote the younger books, I needed a friend for Andi who lived on the ranch and not in town (like Cory) so I created the Riley character. Since the blog IS about Andi when she's older, that's why Riley is not listed on the Friends post. But what would be REALLY fun is to think up where Riley is now, when Andi is 12, because he is not in the older books. Maybe if I write another 6 older Andi books some day, Riley can come back and make an appearance.

      Delete
    2. I understand
      Thanks for taking the time to explain!
      That would be so cool if you would write more Andi books!
      Bethann

      Delete
  4. IS your blog only about the Andi books when she is Older?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andi
    This is Bethann
    remember when you did the school post?
    You said that if you hadn't put a post about city schools to remind you in a couple weeks!

    So this is your "reminder"

    I love your blog!

    Bethann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Yes, thanks for the reminder. I'll see what I can do about a young ladies' finishing school in the city, like the one Andi attended in San Francisco Smugglers.

      Delete
  6. I was wondering... Is there ever going to be more Andi books? I haven't read all of the 6 of the Circle C Adventures. But I know that I'll miss Andi! I hope we see more of Andi! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a short story with Andi in it, that you can read on the website. Just click the link up near the top right-hand sidebar. It's about Taffy having a foal! :-)

      I have a couple other stories that could be books "waiting" in my file folders. The publisher may let me write another series about Andi some day, but *big sigh* I don't know for sure. If it never happens, well then, I'll just put those stories up on my website or something!

      Delete

Let Andi know what you think!