Wednesday, July 25, 2012

School Rules in 1880

A real pen and inkwell from the 1880s

I almost got caned once, but Chad stepped in and rescued me just in time (it happened during the events of Dangerous Decision). It's bad enough being stuck upstairs in a schoolhouse with no air conditioning (it hadn't been invented yet and no electricity). In September in California it's HOT. But worse is this horrible list of RULES that our schoolmaster posted the very first day of school. I don't know where he dug them up, but my brothers weren't surprised at all (and neither was my mother). I guess many, many schools in the 1800s had all kinds of rules like the list below. (The list is from a REAL list, by the way--The Old Sacramento Schoolhouse 1848) The first rule is DO NOT BE TARDY. When the bell rings the second time, we'd better be in our seats and QUIET. Or else.

Here are the rules and the lashes (getting whacked) you get if you break them:
Fighting at school.....5
Gambling at school.....4
Playing cards at school.....10
Telling lies.....7
Calling each other ill (bad) names.....3
Climbing trees (number of lashes for each foot up the tree).....1
Swearing in school.....8
For misbehaving to girls.....10
Wearing long fingernails.....2
Making swings and swinging on them.....7
Boys going to the girls' area to play.....3
Girls going to the boys' area to play.....3
Coming to school with dirty face and hands.....2
For calling each other liars.....4
Wrestling at school.....4
Splashing each other at play time.....2
Telling tales outside of school.....8

My school. Mr. Foster's classroom is upstairs.
As you can see, school in 1880 is a great trial to me. Is it any wonder I'd rather stay at home and do chores? ANY kind of chores! And this is a country school. School in the city (girls' finishing school) is even stricter! AUGH!

 

18 comments:

  1. Wow that is a lot of rules!
    Telling tales OUTSIDE of school.......strict!
    Wearing LONG fingernails.......seriously!
    can you write a post on how strict the city schools were, both boys and girls?


    Thanks

    Bethan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to write about the city schools another time. If I don't do it in a couple of weeks, remind me. *smile*

      Delete
    2. Thanks Andi:
      I hope I'm not bugging you with all these questions!
      Sorry!
      Bethan

      Delete
    3. Nope. I like your questions. It gives me ideas to write about.

      Delete
  2. What did you do to almost get caned and how did Chad save you?
    You don't have to make this comment a post if you don't want to just answer back in the comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, here's the deal. In Book 2 I have a real problem with the teacher's daughter, Virginia. It gets to the point where she was really on my case badly. She was telling lies about me (yeah, she didn't get any lashes for that)and so I lost my temper and called her "a liar" (which is against the rules too). Then she SLAPPED me across the face and I guess I really lost it then. I knocked her down and sat on her. But unfortunately the teacher caught me and he said, "Since you are acting like a rowdy boy, you will get the switch like a boy." That made me nearly faint. And, well, I wouldn't go up to the front and get hit in front of the entire class! Just as I thought he might make me, Chad interrupted and told him that nobody was going to whip his sister (yeh for Chad!). If you want to read the whole story, get yourself a copy of my whole, entire adventure in book 2, Dangerous Decision. It's quite an adventure.

      Delete
    2. When I read your books and the relationships that you have with each of your brothers it makes me wish I had at least one older brother. Sometimes it's tough being the oldest.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I feel very blessed. Now, the poor author who writes about me . . . she is the oldest too and the oldest of four girls (only). The author wished and wished she had brothers, so maybe that's why she wrote all about me and my family and gave me lots of brothers. *smiling*
      ~Andi

      Delete
    4. Yeah I know what you mean Madeline. I'm the oldest of almost eight. It's hard always setting a good example for everybody to follow. I think it would be so much fun to have an older brother! I have one younger brother but he's two. I'm writing a book and she has seven older brothers :)


      Blessings,

      SMK

      www.mywalkwiththeking.blogspot.com

      Delete
    5. Wow, and I thought it was hard being the oldest of three. I'm sure our adding of a fourth will add a world of a difference, especially with the possibility opf having to learning Amheric or however you spell it. But nearly EIGHT? Wow.

      Delete
  3. Did you almost get canned or lashes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same thing. Girls (in my class) usually got the ruler on the palm; the boys got lashes with the switch (cane).

      Delete
  4. How do you decide who wins?
    And can siblings enter with the same email address?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sibs can enter, yes, with the same email address, but you have to enter in the Paper doll post, not in this one. :-)

      Delete
  5. How do you pick who wins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pick a winner using an internet program that picks a number.

      Delete
  6. A couple comments up, it said about how close you were with your brothers. Well, I'm the oldest, I have two younger brothers and they get on my nerves ALOT!!! I REALLY wish I had Brothers like yours, I don't think they get on your nerves at all.... But on the other hand I could be wrong, but from what I read I think you are pretty close :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's just say that I (Andi) get on THEIR nerves! LOL I think that's how it always is with siblings. You can still be close (especially as you all get older) but can still get on each other's nerves a lot. :-)

      Delete

Let Andi know what you think!