Monday, April 26, 2010

My mother, Elizabeth

It has taken me a long time to write something about my dear mother. Mostly because I couldn't find a picture that I liked. This one isn't my favorite, but it will have to do, because I really do want get something written down about her. My mother's name is Elizabeth, and she has blond hair like Melinda and Mitch. She's the best mother in the entire Valley and probably in the whole state of California. I'd like to grow up to be just like her, but I think I fall short most days. But I'm getting ahead of myself . . .


My mother was born in 1828, in Pennsylvania. Her father was this really well-to-do shopkeeper in Pittsburgh. When he heard about the gold strike out in California in 1849, my grandfather Carl sold his business and packed up his whole family and headed for the gold fields. Twenty-one-year-old Elizabeth liked the idea of an adventure out West, but the trip ended in disaster. Her father caught influenza and died in a muddy gold camp only a month after arriving. His wife (my grandmother) immediately packed up the two younger children and returned to Pennsylvania. My mother, however, decided to stay and make a life for herself in the new boom town of San Francisco. She opened a store (I guess Grandfather Carl had taught her well), and being an intelligent woman with a whole lot of common sense, along with her Eastern upbringing as a well-bred lady, she made her store one of the most popular in town.

Of course, this is where my father comes into the picture (I'll write about him some other time). But out of all the young, crazy gold prospectors, Father was different. He never bragged about his gold or spent it on wasteful things. He was saving it up and eventually bought a ranch in the foothills (you can bet I'm glad he did that all those years ago!). To make what could be a long story short, they got married and left San Francisco for the new Circle C ranch. And they pretty much lived happily ever after (until the sad accident when Father was killed).

Mother is very patient with me. I think she sees some of herself in me--even if she won't admit it. When I once asked her why she stayed in California instead of returning home with her mother, she told me she was tired of all the social expectations for women back East and wanted the freedom she had found in the West. I sure can relate to that! But Mother always expects me to act like a Christian young lady, even if she does allow me to dress as I please (as long as I don't step a foot off the ranch in overalls).

I love her a lot!


18 comments:

  1. do everything you can for your mother and father, because when they are gone, you will think if I have only called more or if I could have done more. I know because I have lost both my parents a long time ago. I still miss them so much

    mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sounds like a great mother! (Not as good as mine, though!) (-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great mother(Do you have anything about your father?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to get something up about my father, but it's hard to find a picture for him!

      Delete
  4. Have you ever met your grandmother???
    ~Leah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't you used to have a different pic of your mother??? From what I remember, I like that one better.
    ~Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell you what, Leah. You have a photographic memory or something. yes, I have one I swiped off and old TV western, but I never liked that character in her particular role, and it was bugging me, so I traded out the picture for a more historically accurate one. :-)

      Delete
  6. What were her sibling's names and ages in 1828?
    ~ JT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the link to the post about Andi's family tree. You will see her sibs names and ages there:

      http://circlecadventures.blogspot.com/2013/09/andis-family-tree.html

      Elizabeth is the oldest, so in 1828, the year she was born, she would have no little sibs yet. :-)

      Delete
    2. Okey-dokey.
      ~ JT

      Delete
  7. I am guessing her hair is like Andi's? It is hard to tell in the photo.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it's a dark blond, more like Melinda and Mitch. Blonder when she was younger, but darkened somewhat as she grew older. Andi, Justin, Chad, and Kate have dark hair like their father. :-)

      Delete
  8. Sorry, I just found what colour hair she has in the post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How old was she when she got married?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was twenty-three, married in 1851.

      Delete
  10. Thank you. I am planning to write a story about her.

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!