Friday, November 7, 2008

Pictures of 1880s Chinatown, San Francisco

 
Here are a few pictures of some of the places I visited while attending Miss Whitaker's Academy for Young Ladies in San Francisco. I didn't visit these places because I wanted to, by the way. My friend Jenny and I sort of ended up in Chinatown while we were trying to help Lin Mei escape from her cruel slave master. (See Andrea Carter and the San Francisco Smugglers).

I am sharing tiny pictures to get you interested. You need to click on the pictures, which will take you to the full-size image on the original sites. These pictures are copyrighted, and I wanted to be as honest about this as I could. Sharing it this way sends you to the real pictures.
Enjoy!

Click on the pictures to see the larger images!
A little mui tsai with a baby on her back. She has to work hard from dawn to dusk.

A busy sidewalk in Chinatown.

A narrow alley much like the one Jenny, I, and the little slave girls got trapped in!

There are many, many openings that lead under Chinatown--dark, dangerous places.

A street vendor "writing" for a child.

And lastly, "Nob Hill," the site of Miss Whitaker's Academy for Young Ladies--up where the rich folks live.

I hope you take time and visit all these places and "see" what I saw in 1881.

2 comments:

  1. Howdy! I made it over here and it's looking good and to think it's so much easier is really a BIG PLUS! I'm sure that's why folks have been switching. I was wondering if I should attempt to have Nate and Joy switch to this system too. Nate would go for it fast.
    You just copy/pasted your info. over here is what I gathered you said.
    Chinatown's information about the underground reminded me of Seattle's Underground. Hmmm.... you've probably already considered it. ;)
    I won't say more on here since it's too public.

    Well, I've got some things waiting for me to do at the next house and after we get moved. I want to look over your unit study with Joy. I haven't forgotten.

    I'm sore from the cleaning yesterday...did they drop glue in the fiberglass tub? It was so hard to remove with so many things I tried and I was careful not to make mustard gas. I had to scrap it off carefully.

    We are decorating the horses for the Eatonville Christmas Parade (at night). Praying for no rain on our parade. Joy is driving Snickers. I'll ride Ima. We have lights and lots of jingle bells. They sound best when trotting. But we will have to walk.

    We will go do that at the property too...

    Go to gallop!

    Nice find over here in blogspot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is 'got' to gallop!
    Typing at a gallop doesn't sometimes causes one to stumble.

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!