Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My Friend Rosa

I met Rosa last spring. It wasn't the best plan to make friends the way I did, and I'm ashamed now to admit I did such a foolish thing as take Taffy and run away. However, I don't regret meeting Rosa and her family. Her family--mother, father, and brother Joselito--came to California to try and escape their poor life in Mexico. It is hard for me to believe that Rosa was once one of 5 children. The other children died from illness or as babies. It is a very hard life for some folks south of the border.

It's a good thing for all of us that Rosa's father found me after a rotten thief stole Taffy. I taught them English and translated for the family while they looked for work. This was not enjoyable work. Picking beans and other crops is hot and sweaty, and we got paid hardly anything! The Garduño family finally ended up working on the Circle C, and now Rosa and I are friends. We can't see each other a whole lot, since her mother makes her do a load of work in the "big house," as she calls our ranch house.

Rosa is about my age, with shiny black hair and the darkest eyes I've ever seen. She's always cheerful and smiling, in spite of the hard times her family has been through. Rosa is shy, but maybe that's because she doesn't speak English very well. She's also cautious, while I'm impulsive. It would be a good thing if I listened to her warnings. But unfortunately, by the time I've figured out I should have listened to her, I'm already in a heap of trouble.

8 comments:

  1. Rosa is very pretty!
    Faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are the names of rosa"s siblings that didn't make it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is Joselito, then Rosa, then the little ones who didn't make it were:
      Pablo, Solita, and Diego.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the name diego is already used in the circle c adventures book 1 and it mentioned him Before Andrea met the Garduno family

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. It's okay. You can think of another name and I'll change it.

      Delete

Let Andi know what you think!