Monday, December 1, 2008

My Sister Melinda

Melinda Jane is not as fun to be around as she used to be. Even two years ago she and I raced our horses, climbed trees, and fished together for hours on end. Then, all of a sudden it seems, Melinda grew up. Oh sure, she still likes to ride her horse Pandora (Panda for short), but it's not the same as it was before.

Melinda's turned into what folks call a "young lady." She's suddenly discovered corsets, Godey's Lady's Book, and social events in town. Her golden hair is always in place, and she never trips and falls into the horse trough or is late for meals. Melinda's never in a hurry, and she always thinks things through before she makes a decision. She enjoys learning how to run a house. It's not that I don't want to learn those things, it's just that going on a cattle drive sounds like a heap more fun right now than sewing a new dress. In spite of all this, I really do look up to my sister, and we get along pretty well.

Recently, it appears that the young men of Fresno have figured out Melinda's grown up. They think she's charming. I've seen a few of them make fools of themselves when they come calling, trying to win her attention. It doesn't help that my brothers mill about whenever Melinda has a gentleman caller. It seems to make the fellas mighty uncomfortable, but it makes me laugh.

14 comments:

  1. You changed the picture of Melinda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, and I changed it again just now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. This picture fits her perfectly! Where did you find it? - JT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a screen shot of a guest star on an old TV western series that I like. :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! ( is the series The Big Valley?) -JT

      Delete
    3. Okay. Thanks!
      JT

      Delete
  4. The question above is for Mrs.M. Sorry, I forgot to "address it" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does Melinda have any nicknames?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does but I've never used them in any of the stories. Andi sometimes calls her "Linda."

      Delete
  6. Peter needs to be added.

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!