Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My Brother Chad

My big brother Chad has one ambition: to run the Circle C ranch. He loves horses and is the best horseman in the entire Valley. He's a year younger than Justin, but he's the one who's definitely in charge of the ranch (Justin likes to do his lawyer stuff more than rope cattle). Chad was really upset when Father died, because he looked up to him. He wanted to have many more years working alongside him before having to shoulder all the responsibility. Luckily, our long-time foreman, Sid McCoy, helped Chad through the transition from a son to being in charge.

Chad has black hair and blue eyes, and he's pretty tall--about six feet. He thinks he knows everything, and tries to tell me what to do all the time. That makes him bossy, and I don't like it at all. He's got himself a temper, and I've been on the receiving end of it more than once. I sometimes feel that I can't do anything right. He's got no patience for work sloppily done or not done at all, and a cowhand caught mistreating a horse is sent packing, along with a few scorching words from the "boss."

But Chad has his secret, kind side. Behind his quick tongue, he really does have a tender heart. After all, he went out of his way to give me Taffy, and he was mighty patient when we were raising her. I've seen him carry a newborn calf just as tenderly as a mother would hold her baby. And he is funny, too. He knows how to make me laugh when I'm feeling down.

All in all, I wouldn't trade him for any other brother. I know it's partly my fault for getting him riled up on occasion. I guess we're too much alike. I think he yells at me sometimes because he's just downright worried about me getting into another fix. I love him a lot!

13 comments:

  1. That is one amazing photo! Especially since I know the family history. God has a wonderful sense of humor, no? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many years older than you are your brothers and sister?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll just give a kick age-thing here, and you can do the math as to how many years that makes. :-)
    Andi 12
    Melinda 17
    Mitch 22
    Chad 27
    Justin 28

    (oh, yeah, and Katherine, if you've read Family Secret): 25

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant "Quick" not "kick" Sorry! I don't know how to edit my own comments. *sad face*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that bottom picture of Chad!!
    The top one isn't so good.(at least that's what I think!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey do you know if Chad can shoot a gun? Do they even have guns back then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! He has pistols and rifles. And he can shoot well! By 1880, the repeating rifle (the Winchester) was a mainstay of Western life, as well as the six-shooter. Just like you see on an old Western on TV.

      Guns have been around for a long, long time. The Chinese invented gunpowder WAY long ago. We used guns back in 1700s for hunting and used them in the Revolutionary War. (You know, the reason we celebrate the Fourth of July and our country's independence. We actually had to fight long and hard for our freedom).

      Delete
    2. Okay! Thank you!

      Delete
  7. I didn`t really picture Chad like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pictures of Chad!! Was there at one time a black and white one? I seem to remember seeing one, but maybe not. . .;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a really pretty Appaloosa that Chad is holding!:) Looks a little like one of my horses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't understand, in Circle C beginnings Sid McCoy was the cook for the ranch hands but in the following series he is a ranch forman.?

    - Ernestine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Sid was the foreman in the Circle C Beginnings too. Reread Fair Surprise to see that Uncle Sid is Riley's uncle and Chad's foreman.

      "Cook" a Mexican man was the cook in the Beginnings.

      Reread Indian Summer and you'll see that. :-)

      Mrs. M

      Delete

Let Andi know what you think!