Friday, December 5, 2008

Andi Carter . . . Me!

I guess I should start off by telling you about myself. My real name is Andrea Rose Carter, but please don't call me that! Only my mother and my teacher call me "Andrea." When I hear that name, I figure I'm in trouble. And it sounds like such a ladylike name. I'm much more suited to "Andi." My brothers and sisters, all the ranch hands, and my friends call me "Andi." I know, I know, it sounds like a boy's name (Andy), but that doesn't bother me, even though sometimes I get teased about it.

OK, let's see. I was born on May 28, 1868, a few weeks early, so I was awfully tiny. My mother and father worried that I might not make it, but my brother Justin told me I cried so loudly that he had no doubts I'd kick and scream my way into a long life. I have long, wavy dark hair and blue eyes. When I was little, I got tired of my hair getting in my way, so I cut it off. I'll never do that again (I got my backside tanned good and proper when my mother found out what I'd done). Along with a California tan (since I have a hard time remembering to keep my hat on), a few pesky freckles sprinkle my nose. My sister Melinda says it's my own fault--I could avoid the freckles and the sunburns if I wore my hat. I don't listen to her much.

Besides riding and racing my horse, Taffy, I like to fish. I try really hard to do the right thing, but I'm always plunging into some kind of problem because I don't think things through before I act. I get caught up in the excitement of life or with helping someone, and before I know it I'm in a fix. My brother Chad is always pulling me out of some kind of trouble, and it riles him. He and I don't get along very well. He thinks he's my boss.

My father was thrown from his horse and killed during roundup the spring when I turned five years old. I'll never forget it. I was so sad. But my mother and my brothers (especially Justin) stepped in, and I eventually got on with life. Chad gave me Taffy for my sixth birthday, and that really helped, too.

I don't like doing chores (who does?), but the ranch can't run itself. Sometimes I wonder why I have to clean my room and muck out Taffy's stall when we have dozens of hired hands, but I guess my mother has her reasons. I think she wants me to learn to be responsible. I used to wish I were free, instead. If you've read about my first adventure in Long Ride Home, you'll understand when I say that freedom isn't much fun when you don't have anybody to love. Now I think I'd rather be responsible.

41 comments:

  1. I like fishing too, but I only get to go fishing on vacation.:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like fishing to, but i rarely ever catch any :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Andi we look a lot alike! Long dark hair, blue eyes, and freckles. Like two peas in a pod!
    Faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, send me a picture and if it is okay with your folks, I'm happy to post a "Andi look-a-like" page of photos. I have a couple already from a few years ago of other fans who put on overalls and braided their hair and . . . well, there you go!

      Delete
    2. are you still up to doing that? i mean are you still going to do that?

      Delete
    3. Sure, I'll post something about it . . . Will you send something?

      Delete
  4. Sorry Andi I took so long to get back to this post. Yeah I'll ask and see what they say!!! Thank you thank you!
    Faith

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I was you! With all those siblings!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does anybody know what the cooks name is in the books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean the ranch cook for the cowhands or do you mean the cook for the family up at the house?
      The cooks are Nila and Luisa (and Luisa is also the housekeeper).

      The ranch cook for the men (in the cookhouse) was Cook (when Andi was young) and when "Cook" got too old, then it was "Marty" (see "Family Secret").

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I was wondering which was which.

      Delete
    3. I have maids, cooks, housemaids, chauffers and limousine. I'm kinda tired of it. Everybody at school thinks that I'm famous or something but I'm not. My allowance only has five dollars in it from saving up for a whole two months.

      Delete
    4. Love your stories!

      Delete
  7. I think my mom has an interest in Andrea Carter books because she's reading them and laughing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, she kept saying to me, "Hush! I only have a few pages left!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Is anyone there?
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's three peas in a pod since I have long dark hair, blue eyes, and freckles. I am such a tomboy too. Everybody complains about that. I don't get what's wrong about being a tomboy. I get teased A LOT though since my name is Stephanie but I like being called Steph. I LOVE to compete in boy games. Right now I'm on the football team at my school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe four peas in a pod! I also have blue eyes, and slightly long dark hair. I am also the tomboy (like Andi) in my family of 2 brothers and 3 sisters

      Delete
    2. I think it might be four peas in a pod! I also have blue eyes, and slightly long dark hair! I am also the tomboy in my family of 2 brothers and 3 sisters! Wow! I didn't know their was so many people with the same personality!

      Delete
    3. I think it might be four peas in a pod! I also have blue eyes, and slightly long dark hair! I am also the tomboy in my family of 2 brothers and 3 sisters! Wow! I didn't know their was so many people with the same personality!

      Delete
  12. Were twins! I look just like you Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey when was Andi born Mrs. M? I mean what year? I am needing to know for the writing contest.I could probably figure it out but wanting to make sure:)
    JJ Em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May 28, 1868. Guess I should add it to this bio, ya think? :-)

      Delete
    2. I am a tomboy to I also like to be called Syd not Sydney I get teased about my name alot.

      Delete
  14. That would be great! Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. Yes, Luisa is married to Diego, one of the hands

      Delete
  16. Hi, Mrs M -- just a quick question. Are you still using Jessica for the Andi model in the Milestones books? I can't tell...
    Thanks!

    ~R.H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, same girl. In fact, the cover of Thick as Thieves is the same modeling "day" (same outfit) as the day we took the pictures for Price of Truth. I took a couple of new pictures, but the Last Ride cover shows Jessica in the same outfit as the cover of Dangerous Decision.

      Delete
  17. We are so alike! My mom and sister are always telling me to act like a lady! My real name is Abigail, but it sounds to sophisticated, so I am Abbi! I love playing with my brother and his friends more than most "sissy" girls! I like hunting, fishing, football, baseball; pretty much anything outside! Hey Andi, do you like to hunt? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Horseback riding is, of course, my favorite. My uncle has lots of horses, so we went down south to visit him! I rode basically for two days straight! I wish I had my own horse! :( Well at least I get to ride! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandparents have horses (But we can't ride them :(

      Delete
  19. Horseback riding is, of course, my favorite. My uncle has lots of horses, so we went down south to visit him! I rode basically for two days straight! I wish I had my own horse! :( Well at least I get to ride! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was wondering, would the Carters have a milking cow? (Since they live on a ranch...)
    And if they did, would they sell the milk? Or just drink/use it?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have milking cows for their own use.

      Delete
  21. Shouldn't you change Andi's name to Andrea Carter Prescott?

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi andi you're soo lucky i went fishing and and i never caught a fish.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, you have a lot of siblings. I have seven siblings (one sister and six brothers.)

    ReplyDelete

Let Andi know what you think!